Apr 11, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
Willingham was hit in the left wrist with a Justin Masterson fastball on Sunday. X-rays came back negative and the Twins were initially hopeful that Willingham wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. They’ll place him on the disabled list retroactively, so he could return to the lineup in a week if everything else goes according to plan.
Through his first 23 plate appearances to start the season, Willingham is hitting .294 with a .435 on-base percentage, though he hasn’t shown any power yet. The Twins will have to keep a watchful eye on Willingham in case the wrist problem hampers his power after he returns to the lineup.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)