Apr 11, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Willingham was hit in the left wrist with a Justin Masterson fastball on Sunday. X-rays came back negative and the Twins were initially hopeful that Willingham wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. They’ll place him on the disabled list retroactively, so he could return to the lineup in a week if everything else goes according to plan.
Through his first 23 plate appearances to start the season, Willingham is hitting .294 with a .435 on-base percentage, though he hasn’t shown any power yet. The Twins will have to keep a watchful eye on Willingham in case the wrist problem hampers his power after he returns to the lineup.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 38
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)