Apr 11, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Willingham was hit in the left wrist with a Justin Masterson fastball on Sunday. X-rays came back negative and the Twins were initially hopeful that Willingham wouldn’t need to go on the disabled list. They’ll place him on the disabled list retroactively, so he could return to the lineup in a week if everything else goes according to plan.
Through his first 23 plate appearances to start the season, Willingham is hitting .294 with a .435 on-base percentage, though he hasn’t shown any power yet. The Twins will have to keep a watchful eye on Willingham in case the wrist problem hampers his power after he returns to the lineup.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 6
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)