Apr 12, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
The Cardinals announced this morning that they have given a two-year contract extension to senior vice president and general manager John Mozeliak. He’s now signed through 2018.
This is actually the second straight year that Mozeliak has received an extension from the Cardinals. He was given a three-year deal last February. They know a good thing when they have it.
Here’s part of the press release from the team:
“Over the last six seasons Mo has done an outstanding job leading our baseball operations,” said Cardinals Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. “By extending Mo’s contract with the club, we look forward to continuing our approach which emphasizes excellence at the Major League level, supported by a strong player procurement and player development program.”
It’s hard to think of someone more deserving. Since taking over for Walt Jocketty after the 2007 season, Mozeliak has helped make the Cardinals the model franchise for the sport. With their excellent player development system, their run of success likely isn’t coming to an end anytime soon.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)