Apr 12, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
The Cardinals announced this morning that they have given a two-year contract extension to senior vice president and general manager John Mozeliak. He’s now signed through 2018.
This is actually the second straight year that Mozeliak has received an extension from the Cardinals. He was given a three-year deal last February. They know a good thing when they have it.
Here’s part of the press release from the team:
“Over the last six seasons Mo has done an outstanding job leading our baseball operations,” said Cardinals Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. “By extending Mo’s contract with the club, we look forward to continuing our approach which emphasizes excellence at the Major League level, supported by a strong player procurement and player development program.”
It’s hard to think of someone more deserving. Since taking over for Walt Jocketty after the 2007 season, Mozeliak has helped make the Cardinals the model franchise for the sport. With their excellent player development system, their run of success likely isn’t coming to an end anytime soon.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)