Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Jose Veras blew his second save of the season last night against the Cardinals and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that Cubs manager Rick Renteria will go with other options in the closer role for now.
After joining the Cubs on a one-year, $4 million deal over the winter, Veras has really struggled in the early going. The 33-year-old right-hander has allowed five runs on two hits and seven walks over 3 2/3 innings in four appearances. He has also hit three batters.
There’s incentive for the Cubs to get Veras back on track here, as he could be a potential trade chip around midseason. Hector Rondon and Pedro Strop figure to get some save chances in the short-term.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)