Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Jose Veras blew his second save of the season last night against the Cardinals and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that Cubs manager Rick Renteria will go with other options in the closer role for now.
After joining the Cubs on a one-year, $4 million deal over the winter, Veras has really struggled in the early going. The 33-year-old right-hander has allowed five runs on two hits and seven walks over 3 2/3 innings in four appearances. He has also hit three batters.
There’s incentive for the Cubs to get Veras back on track here, as he could be a potential trade chip around midseason. Hector Rondon and Pedro Strop figure to get some save chances in the short-term.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)