Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Jose Veras blew his second save of the season last night against the Cardinals and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that Cubs manager Rick Renteria will go with other options in the closer role for now.
After joining the Cubs on a one-year, $4 million deal over the winter, Veras has really struggled in the early going. The 33-year-old right-hander has allowed five runs on two hits and seven walks over 3 2/3 innings in four appearances. He has also hit three batters.
There’s incentive for the Cubs to get Veras back on track here, as he could be a potential trade chip around midseason. Hector Rondon and Pedro Strop figure to get some save chances in the short-term.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40