Apr 12, 2014, 9:31 AM EST
A fan was ejected after he reached his hand out into the field of play to touch Mets outfielder Curtis Granderson during a game last night at Angel Stadium in Anaheim.
During the eighth inning, Granderson caught a fly ball in the right field corner and was about to throw the ball back into the infield before he felt a hand on his shoulder. Clearly startled, he had a brief confrontation with the fan before play resumed. You can watch the video here.
Granderson told Marc Carig of New York Newsday that he had a simple message for the fan:
“He touched me,” Granderson said. “Then I turned around and he’s like, ‘I didn’t mean to.’ I said, ‘Hey, just don’t touch me.’ So that was it. Say whatever you want to say, boo, cheer, clap, cheer for your team, cheer for the other team. But just don’t physically touch players.”
This is what happens when people forget that baseball players are actual human beings who, much like you and me, don’t like having their personal space violated. Fortunately this didn’t escalate into a more serious situation.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 68
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 37
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)