Curtis Granderson has confrontation after being touched by a fan in right field

Apr 12, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

granderson 1

A fan was ejected after he reached his hand out into the field of play to touch Mets outfielder Curtis Granderson during a game last night at Angel Stadium in Anaheim.

During the eighth inning, Granderson caught a fly ball in the right field corner and was about to throw the ball back into the infield before he felt a hand on his shoulder. Clearly startled, he had a brief confrontation with the fan before play resumed. You can watch the video here.

Granderson told Marc Carig of New York Newsday that he had a simple message for the fan:

“He touched me,” Granderson said. “Then I turned around and he’s like, ‘I didn’t mean to.’ I said, ‘Hey, just don’t touch me.’ So that was it. Say whatever you want to say, boo, cheer, clap, cheer for your team, cheer for the other team. But just don’t physically touch players.”

This is what happens when people forget that baseball players are actual human beings who, much like you and me, don’t like having their personal space violated. Fortunately this didn’t escalate into a more serious situation.

1. kclovesgaming - Apr 12, 2014 at 7:59 PM

People will say other wise, but I think he’s being very uptight about this. Smile and laugh about it. Or better yet, toss the ball to the fan. Then again, I don’t normally watch baseball, I watch hockey and hockey players are much more chill and relax with fans.

• rpearlston - Apr 12, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Hardly. If you don’t understand Granderson’s position here, if you don’t want to understand what happened here, then search “Monica Seles”. That;s the reason that players react as they do when fans reach out to touch them, deliberately or not, or when they they run onto the field.

That’s why your post is idiotic.

• cnote82 - Apr 13, 2014 at 3:09 AM

rpearlston, youre a trashbag. Then again, most of you nbbsports posters are full fledged retards.

Your post is just as idiotic.

No, the fan shouldnt have touched Granderson.

And yes, its understandable why he is angry,

However, bringing up the Monica Seles thing just proves you are clueless.

If they are that worried about fans doing something like that, they shouldnt be jumping or reach into crowds for foul balls.

There are psychos everywhere. Using an isolated incident as your reasoning for why fans shouldnt touch players is just stupid.

Stop talking.

• mmsolis1106 - Apr 13, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Are you kidding with that stupid comment? Keep your grubby hands off the players…

This clown should not be allowed back in a baseball stadium…

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM

hockey sucks horribly. I’d rather watch an insurance seminar

2. robertb655 - Apr 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You’d think HBT would have better video than a YouTube video of some guy recording his TV, there’s seriously something wrong about this

3. stupidusername - Apr 12, 2014 at 11:00 PM

A fan should never reach out past the wall, and even if a player enters the stands they shouldn’t touch them. But holy $hit, Matt Adams shoves a fan in the chest almost knocking him over and everyone on here thinks he’s saying ‘hey man nice catch’ and don’t care. Fine, he may have been saying that, I thought he might have been, but don’t touch fans. And then this guy barely grazes Granderson and now you don’t like it? Fans shouldn’t touch players, ever. Players shouldn’t touch fans. I just find it very weird that shoving a fan was so OK a few days ago and barely touching a player is so awful.

• oldpro71 - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:46 AM

If you have ever played any sport at any level you might understand that reaching out and touching a player especially on his throwing arm shoulder would make you angry as well.
      A few inches to the right and that fan could have caused some major damage to the players shoulder. I am sure many of us have seen this happen in football as the QB’s arm is going forward and a defensive player grabs his arm or shoulder. Not good.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM

you should be more dramatic

• stupidusername - Apr 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I have played multiple sports at several levels, and I was a QB and a pitcher. As a matter of fact, I dislocated my shoulder in high school when my arm was in the air and I was hit by a DE. Let’s keep in perspective what actually happened, though. The reaction from the player is, like your post, overly dramatic. You need to reread what I wrote because I said twice fans should not ever touch players. It was actually the very first thing i said.

Also, the comments on this post are not in line with the reaction to Matt Adams shoving a fan in the chest with his glove when the fan never crossed a boundary at all. It goes both ways. Players can’t touch fans either. But a player did and not many people cared.

And go on thinking anyone who posts on a blog, as you did yourself, never actually played sports, idiot.

4. bigmeechy74 - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

It was an honest mistake. The guy immediately felt bad and apologized. He was wrong but to all of you saying “he should be banned” etc jeez come on simmer down

• oldpro71 - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I do agree. Banned ……NO; looked like a nice kid who loves the game and looks up to players.
      Lesson learned, game over.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate