Apr 12, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Giants signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor league deal back in January and the Fresno Grizzlies, the Giants’ Triple-A affiliate, have added the lefty to their active roster, per the Grizzlies’ Twitter account.
Willis, 32, hasn’t pitched in the Major Leagues since 2011, but it hasn’t been for a lack of trying. Going into the 2012 season, Willis signed a minor league deal with the Phillies, but he was released during spring training. The Orioles grabbed him, and he made four appearances with Triple-A Norfolk. Willis announced his retirement on July 2, but he wouldn’t stay retired for long.
The Cubs signed Willis to a minor league deal in January 13, but Willis injured his shoulder in his first spring start and the Cubs released him. The Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League signed him in April and he had good results, though against markedly inferior competition. Willis made the Atlantic League All-Star team, and the Angels signed him to a minor league deal in August. He posted more poor results at Triple-A.
Willis won the NL Rookie of the Year award in 2003 with the Marlins, and finished second in NL Cy Young voting in 2005. His quirky mechanics soon caused control issues, leading to his star falling quickly. During his prime, he was one of baseball’s most interesting players and he was a lot of fun to watch.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 1
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 33
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)