Apr 12, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
The Giants signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor league deal back in January and the Fresno Grizzlies, the Giants’ Triple-A affiliate, have added the lefty to their active roster, per the Grizzlies’ Twitter account.
Willis, 32, hasn’t pitched in the Major Leagues since 2011, but it hasn’t been for a lack of trying. Going into the 2012 season, Willis signed a minor league deal with the Phillies, but he was released during spring training. The Orioles grabbed him, and he made four appearances with Triple-A Norfolk. Willis announced his retirement on July 2, but he wouldn’t stay retired for long.
The Cubs signed Willis to a minor league deal in January 13, but Willis injured his shoulder in his first spring start and the Cubs released him. The Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League signed him in April and he had good results, though against markedly inferior competition. Willis made the Atlantic League All-Star team, and the Angels signed him to a minor league deal in August. He posted more poor results at Triple-A.
Willis won the NL Rookie of the Year award in 2003 with the Marlins, and finished second in NL Cy Young voting in 2005. His quirky mechanics soon caused control issues, leading to his star falling quickly. During his prime, he was one of baseball’s most interesting players and he was a lot of fun to watch.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)