Joe Girardi on giving Derek Jeter the day off: “I wasn’t hired to put on a farewell tour”

Apr 12, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

Derek Jeter Getty Getty Images

Derek Jeter was given the day off today after playing the series opener against the Red Sox last night at Yankee Stadium. While Yankees manager Joe Girardi understands that fans came to the ballpark expecting Jeter to be in the lineup and are likely disappointed to see him on the bench, he told Andrew Marchand of ESPN.com that his first priority is to keep Jeter healthy for the long haul. As it should be.

“I have to manage him with a focus of winning games and keeping him healthy, not being a farewell tour,” said Girardi, who has Dean Anna at shortstop against the Red Sox. “I wasn’t hired to put on a farewell tour.”

Jeter has started in 10 out of 12 games for the Yankees so far this season. The 40-year-old is hitting .286 (10-for-35) with a pair of doubles, one RBI, and four walks.

1. renaado - Apr 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with this, Obviously Girardi made the right choice here knowing Anna is off to a hot start and also definitely need some playing time out there and I’m pretty sure Jeter can understand that.. And as for Yankees fans out there (especially you aresachaela…) needs to understand this, he needs the rest knowing it’s still a long season ahead.

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Your definition of “off to a hot start” is very generous.

• renaado - Apr 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Yeah I probably missed that, sorry XD.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

In generosity and helping others, be like a river…

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Freeze solid during the winter and slow to a trickle during the summer?

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Pbbblt!

• paperlions - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Dam it up for profit?

Always go down hill?

C’mon, you are gonna have to give me a hint here.

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:26 AM

It looks like WordPress ate my response. Perhaps because I used a potty word — though I censored it. I wish you’d get a note or something letting you know why the comment wouldn’t get posted…grrrrr.

• renaado - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Agreed histiriophiliac, Not unless it’s a polluted one though…

• renaado - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Agreed historiophiliac, Not unless it’s a polluted one though…

2. jef2014 - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Except the series opener against Boston was Thursday night.

3. hoopmatch - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Yankees have an interesting problem. Jeter, a sure hall-of-famer, is a defensive liability, yet benching him will invite all manner of opprobrium from the masses.

4. banksatdixie - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

He is 39. Turns 40 in June.

• drewsylvania - Apr 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Indeed. A stellar win of a post!

5. Glenn - Apr 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Umps just blew another replay challenge in this game.

6. Caught Looking - Apr 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Today is the third game of the series. The opener of the four game set was on Thursday.

7. strictlythedanks - Apr 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Jeter: the most overrated player the mlbs ever seen

• renaado - Apr 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Mind tellin us why?

• sabatimus - Apr 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Player? No. Shortstop? Absolutely.

• cohnjusack - Apr 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Jeter is overrated, sure. He’s still a no-doubt Hall of Famer and one of the greatest shortstops of all time. He ranks 2nd among all-shortstops in the liveball era in WAR behind only Ripken. I wouldn’t even put him as the most overrated Yankee of all-time (Mattingly!). There are many players who were far more overrated than Jeter.

So he’s overrated, he’s still awfully great.

• dangle13x - Apr 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM

It’s the MLB, not the mlbs. That, on top of your asinine comment and ratball name prove you are a burnout loser.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM

grow a pair, I will dangle the sheit out of you boy

8. mikhelb - Apr 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM

As mentioned: Jeter already played the first two games of the series, on top of that, JoeG usually benches one or two players in a day game after a night game.

With Solarte batting well (today he went 2-4) and Anna doing an ‘OK to good’ job as a bench player, it was logical that Jeter would be benched today.

9. Kevin Gillman - Apr 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

My god, everything in New York is magnified. When Girardi goes to take a piss, NY Times tells us what color it was, and the time of the piss. Good gravy.

10. keltictim - Apr 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I understand the fans want to see him okay during his farewell season, but the team and wins have to come first. As already pointed out the nan has become a liability on the field.

11. sixchr - Apr 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

This is why, even as a Red Sox fan, I like Girardi a lot as a manger. While everyone in New York is talking about Jeter like he’s Joe DiMaggio in his prime this is how Girardi is treating it. The guy could care less about Jeter’s ridiculous farewell tour because he’s trying to win games. Girardi should have been in the conversation for manager of the year last year with what he did with that roster.

• damnyankee13 - Apr 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM

sixchr,, you are right in your post, but its the media that’s doing this, I think, tho mlb may have a hand in it

12. bankboy2012 - Apr 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Yes, it’s shocking that he didn’t play his near 40 year old shortstop in a day game following a night game.

We’re only guaranteed to see him in the lineup three times this year if he stays healthy: the home opener (done), the home finale and the last game of the season in Boston. Everything else is manager’s discretion as it should be.

13. halfthemoney - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM

This is the problem with players announcing their retirement prior to the start of the season; people want to see them play. Fans will purchase tickets when the Yankees come to town simply to see one of his last games. I’m not saying he should play every inning of every game because few do that these days but it isn’t too much to ask for a token appearance otherwise don’t make the announcement. I’ll let Joe DiMaggio say it for me: “There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best.” Source: The Sporting News (April 4, 1951)

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3057)