Apr 12, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
UPDATE: Latos told C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it’s actually his forearm that’s bothering him and that he went for an MRI today. He’s still awaiting the results.
10:58 a.m. ET: Reds right-hander Mat Latos was scratched from his second minor league rehab start on Tuesday due to right elbow inflammation and John Fay and C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer report that he felt continued discomfort during a bullpen session yesterday.
Latos declined to speak to reporters after throwing, but Reds trainer Paul Lessard said that he will be shut down for a few days.
“There was still a little tenderness in the flexor mass,” Lessard said. “It’s back to more treatment, instead of pitching. We were hoping if the bullpen went well today that maybe he could pitch on Sunday or Monday. That doesn’t look reasonable right now.
“We’ve got to take some time and get him stronger and less painful, hopefully pain-free.”
Latos was forced to begin the year on the disabled list following left knee surgery in February, but he also had an elbow cleanup procedure in October. His absence appears likely to stretch into May at this point. Alfredo Simon will continue to fill his spot in the starting rotation for now.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (95)