Apr 12, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
UPDATE: Latos told C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it’s actually his forearm that’s bothering him and that he went for an MRI today. He’s still awaiting the results.
10:58 a.m. ET: Reds right-hander Mat Latos was scratched from his second minor league rehab start on Tuesday due to right elbow inflammation and John Fay and C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer report that he felt continued discomfort during a bullpen session yesterday.
Latos declined to speak to reporters after throwing, but Reds trainer Paul Lessard said that he will be shut down for a few days.
“There was still a little tenderness in the flexor mass,” Lessard said. “It’s back to more treatment, instead of pitching. We were hoping if the bullpen went well today that maybe he could pitch on Sunday or Monday. That doesn’t look reasonable right now.
“We’ve got to take some time and get him stronger and less painful, hopefully pain-free.”
Latos was forced to begin the year on the disabled list following left knee surgery in February, but he also had an elbow cleanup procedure in October. His absence appears likely to stretch into May at this point. Alfredo Simon will continue to fill his spot in the starting rotation for now.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)