Apr 12, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
In the bottom of the eighth inning this afternoon at Yankee Stadium, Yankees infielder Dean Anna doubled down the right field line off Red Sox reliever Burke Badenhop. Red Sox manager John Farrell quickly came out to challenge the safe call at second base, but the initial call was confirmed after a video replay. The only problem is that Anna’s foot was off the bag and he should have been called out.
Check out the video below:
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, MLB did not have immediate access to the conclusive angle on the play and acknowledged that a different call should have been made. Fortunately, the mistake did not have a significant impact on the game, as Anna didn’t come around to score and the Red Sox lost 7-4. Still, it’s a little troubling that the fans at home had access to the “conclusive angle” but MLB somehow didn’t. Hopefully this was just a freak occurrence and not a sign of things to come.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8