Apr 12, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
In the bottom of the eighth inning this afternoon at Yankee Stadium, Yankees infielder Dean Anna doubled down the right field line off Red Sox reliever Burke Badenhop. Red Sox manager John Farrell quickly came out to challenge the safe call at second base, but the initial call was confirmed after a video replay. The only problem is that Anna’s foot was off the bag and he should have been called out.
Check out the video below:
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, MLB did not have immediate access to the conclusive angle on the play and acknowledged that a different call should have been made. Fortunately, the mistake did not have a significant impact on the game, as Anna didn’t come around to score and the Red Sox lost 7-4. Still, it’s a little troubling that the fans at home had access to the “conclusive angle” but MLB somehow didn’t. Hopefully this was just a freak occurrence and not a sign of things to come.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)