Apr 12, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
The Padres are still the only MLB team without a no-hitter, but Andrew Cashner came close again last night, tossing a one-hitter in a 6-0 win over the Tigers at PETCO Park in San Diego. His shutout was the first in the majors this season.
Cashner brought a no-hitter into the sixth inning, but it was broken up on a out-out bloop single by Rajai Davis. The 27-year-old right-hander struck out a career-high 11 batters and walked a pair in the victory. He was as efficient as can be, throwing 70 out of 108 pitches for strikes while inducing 13 ground balls. Oh, and the cherry on top? He struck out Miguel Cabrera swinging to end the ballgame.
This was actually Cashner’s second career one-hit shutout. He also had one against the Pirates last September 13. One of these days, Padres fans. One of these days.
Cashner posted a 3.09 ERA and 128/47 K/BB ratio over 175 innings last season and the Padres are looking for him to be their ace this year. With a 1.29 ERA through his first three outings, he’s off to a pretty good start.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s $200 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Your Friday box scores:
Nationals 6, Braves 7 (10 innings)
Cubs 6, Cardinals 3 (11 innings)
Mets 4, Angels 5 (11 innings)
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)