Apr 12, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
The Padres are still the only MLB team without a no-hitter, but Andrew Cashner came close again last night, tossing a one-hitter in a 6-0 win over the Tigers at PETCO Park in San Diego. His shutout was the first in the majors this season.
Cashner brought a no-hitter into the sixth inning, but it was broken up on a out-out bloop single by Rajai Davis. The 27-year-old right-hander struck out a career-high 11 batters and walked a pair in the victory. He was as efficient as can be, throwing 70 out of 108 pitches for strikes while inducing 13 ground balls. Oh, and the cherry on top? He struck out Miguel Cabrera swinging to end the ballgame.
This was actually Cashner’s second career one-hit shutout. He also had one against the Pirates last September 13. One of these days, Padres fans. One of these days.
Cashner posted a 3.09 ERA and 128/47 K/BB ratio over 175 innings last season and the Padres are looking for him to be their ace this year. With a 1.29 ERA through his first three outings, he’s off to a pretty good start.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s $200 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Your Friday box scores:
Nationals 6, Braves 7 (10 innings)
Cubs 6, Cardinals 3 (11 innings)
Mets 4, Angels 5 (11 innings)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)