Apr 12, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Mariners starter Taijuan Walker has been moved up to Triple-A Tacoma to make one more rehab start, reports Bob Dutton of the News Tribune. Walker is taking the Blake Beavan’s spot in Tacoma’s rotation, as the Mariners tabbed Beavan to fill in for the injured James Paxton in the big league rotation. Beavan will start Tuesday against the Rangers.
Walker has made two rehab starts to date. In his first, on April 4 at Single-A, he allowed two runs (one earned) in 4 1/3 innings, striking out seven and walking one. In his second, on April 9 at Double-A, Walker allowed no runs on three hits and a walk while striking out ten in five innings.
While Walker has had good results, manager Lloyd McClendon wants his pitcher to get stronger:
“He needs to continue to get stronger,” McClendon said. “He needs to continue to command all of his pitches. He’s progressing well. We’re very pleased with where he is at this point.
“We just need to get that pitch count up, that pitchability up a little more.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)