Apr 12, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Get a load of this Brew Crew.
Behind seven strong innings from right-hander Wily Peralta and home runs from Aramis Ramirez and Mark Reynolds, the Brewers topped the Pirates 4-2 last night at Miller Park in Milwaukee. They have now won seven straight games and sit at 8-2 on the young season, giving them the best record in the majors. This is their best start since they began the 1987 season at 13-0.
The Brewers have simply been hitting on all cylinders thus far. While they have the third-fewest walks in the majors, they rank third in batting average and slugging percentage and fifth in OPS thanks to hot starts from the likes of Ramirez, Carlos Gomez, and Jonathan Lucroy. The pitching has been even better, putting up a major league best 1.86 ERA. Their starters have gone at least six innings in seven out of 10 games, with Yovani Gallardo showing signs of a rebound with 12 2/3 scoreless innings to begin the year. Their relievers, highlighted by the trio of Francisco Rodriguez, Will Smith, and Tyler Thornburg, have allowed just four runs in 29 2/3 innings for a 0.91 ERA.
There are obviously reasons to be skeptical here, especially with the questions surrounding Ryan Braun‘s thumb and the injury histories of Ramirez and Matt Garza, but this team could surprise if things break right. The Cardinals deserve to be considered the favorites in the National League Central, but the Wild Card race has the potential to be wide open this year.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)