Apr 12, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Get a load of this Brew Crew.
Behind seven strong innings from right-hander Wily Peralta and home runs from Aramis Ramirez and Mark Reynolds, the Brewers topped the Pirates 4-2 last night at Miller Park in Milwaukee. They have now won seven straight games and sit at 8-2 on the young season, giving them the best record in the majors. This is their best start since they began the 1987 season at 13-0.
The Brewers have simply been hitting on all cylinders thus far. While they have the third-fewest walks in the majors, they rank third in batting average and slugging percentage and fifth in OPS thanks to hot starts from the likes of Ramirez, Carlos Gomez, and Jonathan Lucroy. The pitching has been even better, putting up a major league best 1.86 ERA. Their starters have gone at least six innings in seven out of 10 games, with Yovani Gallardo showing signs of a rebound with 12 2/3 scoreless innings to begin the year. Their relievers, highlighted by the trio of Francisco Rodriguez, Will Smith, and Tyler Thornburg, have allowed just four runs in 29 2/3 innings for a 0.91 ERA.
There are obviously reasons to be skeptical here, especially with the questions surrounding Ryan Braun‘s thumb and the injury histories of Ramirez and Matt Garza, but this team could surprise if things break right. The Cardinals deserve to be considered the favorites in the National League Central, but the Wild Card race has the potential to be wide open this year.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)