Apr 13, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Rays starter Alex Cobb shut out the Reds for seven innings in Saturday’s 1-0 win and has now gone 15 1/3 innings without allowing a run. But it’s going to be a while before he can try to extend that streak.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays placed Cobb on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with a left oblique strain that he suffered near the end of his outing in Cincinnati. He is headed back to Florida for an MRI so that the Rays can get a better idea of the strain’s severity.
Tampa Bay is off to a decent 7-5 start, but Matt Moore (elbow), Jeremy Hellickson (elbow), and Cobb are now missing from a rotation that looked great on paper coming out of spring training. Cobb, 26, owns a superb 2.66 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 8.2 K/9 in 162 1/3 innings since the beginning of the 2013 season.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)