Apr 13, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Rays starter Alex Cobb shut out the Reds for seven innings in Saturday’s 1-0 win and has now gone 15 1/3 innings without allowing a run. But it’s going to be a while before he can try to extend that streak.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays placed Cobb on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with a left oblique strain that he suffered near the end of his outing in Cincinnati. He is headed back to Florida for an MRI so that the Rays can get a better idea of the strain’s severity.
Tampa Bay is off to a decent 7-5 start, but Matt Moore (elbow), Jeremy Hellickson (elbow), and Cobb are now missing from a rotation that looked great on paper coming out of spring training. Cobb, 26, owns a superb 2.66 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 8.2 K/9 in 162 1/3 innings since the beginning of the 2013 season.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)