Apr 13, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Rays starter Alex Cobb shut out the Reds for seven innings in Saturday’s 1-0 win and has now gone 15 1/3 innings without allowing a run. But it’s going to be a while before he can try to extend that streak.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays placed Cobb on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with a left oblique strain that he suffered near the end of his outing in Cincinnati. He is headed back to Florida for an MRI so that the Rays can get a better idea of the strain’s severity.
Tampa Bay is off to a decent 7-5 start, but Matt Moore (elbow), Jeremy Hellickson (elbow), and Cobb are now missing from a rotation that looked great on paper coming out of spring training. Cobb, 26, owns a superb 2.66 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 8.2 K/9 in 162 1/3 innings since the beginning of the 2013 season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)