Alex Cobb lands on disabled list with left oblique strain

Apr 13, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

alex cobb getty Getty Images

Rays starter Alex Cobb shut out the Reds for seven innings in Saturday’s 1-0 win and has now gone 15 1/3 innings without allowing a run. But it’s going to be a while before he can try to extend that streak.

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays placed Cobb on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning with a left oblique strain that he suffered near the end of his outing in Cincinnati. He is headed back to Florida for an MRI so that the Rays can get a better idea of the strain’s severity.

Tampa Bay is off to a decent 7-5 start, but Matt Moore (elbow), Jeremy Hellickson (elbow), and Cobb are now missing from a rotation that looked great on paper coming out of spring training. Cobb, 26, owns a superb 2.66 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 8.2 K/9 in 162 1/3 innings since the beginning of the 2013 season.

1. cur'68 - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I was watching when this happened. It was in the first inning, too NOT the end of he outing. Why they left him in for the whole game is a mystery to me, the way he was wincing and stretching out his side in the first inning. That one game wasn’t worth the months of rehab that might follow.

2. proudlycanadian - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Wow! Tampa Bay’s starting rotation is getting rather thin.

• cur'68 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I know, PC. I know. I want these guys to be good, too. I realistically can’t hope for Our Boys; that rotation scares the crap out of me. Besides the lowly Rays are a team after my own heart. Spurned by those who should love them, striving in the face of it all, suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes, and bereft of a decent home. I can relate to that.

Another pitcher down, is it? Well I have some faith in them. They’ll regroup and out hit all who face them. They just gotta.

• raysfan1 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I’ll keep faith in my guys, but this is why there is no such thing as too much pitching.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM

It was vamos to Ramos very early in today’s game.

• cur'68 - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Yeah. Votto’s a beast.

• spudchukar - Apr 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I root just the opposite, if the Rays can’t do it, go Jays, or go Jays unless they are playin’ the Rays.

• Mark - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I’ll also join the love the Jays but gladly root for the Rays group!

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

This was were I started to become irritated. I should have said something here. But I passed, because hey – what do I know.

In soccer terms, it was a multiple-offense yellow card booking. No more, no less. I ain’t mad at you. I’m just tired of seeing this particular drum getting beat on.

It’s not like y’all were subtle about the beginnings of it all. I read most every article & comment.

What I’m saying is, as a fan of your writing and long term HBT correspondent, and as a fan of her writing and being a long term HBT correspondent with her as well, could you please stop trying to make this an unfriendly sandbox for her? I’m sure she has problems of her own. We all do.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I’ve always been a fan of this team. For years, since back when they were the Devil Rays. Articulating that they and I grow even more similar isn’t a jab at anyone. Its my life, my pain, the events that shape me. I’ll like them how I choose and for what I choose. If that bothers anyone well that’s THEIR problem.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM

No matter what she did to you, and it sounds horrible, I’m just saying – it’s not just this one or that one. It’s been a pretty constant barrage lately. Even if so much of it wasn’t specifically targeted at another HBT commenter, it would be tiresome.

But as one who was “there when it blossomed” so to speak, and as someone who was happy for you both in the first blush of your infatuation, I am asking you, please, to edit here and there with a little compassion.

Life is hard for all of us.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Life is hard. We all cope the best we can. If you can’t cope then you spend a lot of time saying “To be, or not to be…”

This isn’t about anyone but me. I need to keep going. People rely on me. I have to find a way. For me, that’s always been about lending a voice and support to a cause that isn’t as loved as another. Its how I cope and right now its all I have.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM

The key to life – keep-a-go

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Sure. Also “find an outlet”. “Vent and don’t harm yourself”. That last above all. I’m utterly serious here, Mo. That last above all.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4002)