Derek Jeter sitting out a second straight game

Apr 13, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Yankees manager Joe Girardi was questioned about his decision to sit veteran shortstop Derek Jeter for Saturday’s game against the rival Red Sox, which was broadcast by FOX Sports 1. Girardi’s exact response“I have to manage him with a focus of winning games and keeping him healthy, not being a farewell tour. I wasn’t hired to put on a farewell tour.”

And that cautiousness will continue in Sunday night’s series finale with Boston, which is being shown on ESPN. Here is the starting lineup for the Yankees, via the club’s official Twitter account …

Jeter is 39 years old and played in only 17 games last season. Girardi’s thinking is pretty understandable.

Also there’s this, from MLB.com Yankees beat writer Bryan Hoch

1. jdrew506 - Apr 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Time for all the yankee and jeter haters to come out and tell us how overrated jeter is.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Please don’t encourage them. They’re bad enough without any help. I just wish we had someone who would grow to be that “overrated” to fill in for the Captain (no one can replace him.) Personally I am happy Girardi is taking it cautiously. Jeter seems to have recovered well from the injuries, but no point in pushing it. So far he is putting up a batting line about as I have hoped – not on fire like just before the first injury but not bad. The haters act like he is Dr. Strangeglove on defense when in fact he has always been a rock-steady fielder with a plus arm who had limited range. With his offense over his career, anyone who wouldn’t take that package is crazy.

• sixchr - Apr 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Really? Because the people in New York think the current Derek Jeter is Joe DiMaggio in his prime. Jeter is washed up, stop telling me he’s good anymore. He had a great career but he’s turned this season into a big “look at me” show. He should have retired after last year.

• anxovies - Apr 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM

So… I guess you are saying he is a showoff AND overrated?

2. halfthemoney - Apr 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I guess I’ll repost my comment from yesterday with a caveat: I had already purchased tickets for the series in KC in June because my nephew is a big Yanks/Jeter fan.

• halfthemoney - Apr 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM

This is the problem with players announcing their retirement prior to the start of the season; people want to see them play. Fans will purchase tickets when the Yankees come to town simply to see one of his last games. I’m not saying he should play every inning of every game because few do that these days but it isn’t too much to ask for a token appearance otherwise don’t make the announcement. I’ll let Joe DiMaggio say it for me: “There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best.” Source: The Sporting News (April 4, 1951)

3. Professor Fate - Apr 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Girardi is right. It’s about the team, not about one player. Jeter is in his 19th season. If you’re just now buying a ticket to see him play in person you waited way too long and are seeing him in decline. Maybe if enough people complain the Yankees can schedule a separate fair-well tour where you can pay $50 to shake his hand before he goes back to sit in the dugout.

• halfthemoney - Apr 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Sorry Professor but I respectfully disagree for a couple of reasons. I haven’t waited too long as I’ve seen him play before in more than one location. My nephew, on the other hand is 13, lives in Fayetteville, AR, has never had the opportunity to see him play in person and is a huge Yankees fan. However, I do like your idea of handshakes with modifications: the Yankees can arrange for Mr. Jeter to be accessible to fans before or after the game (depending on if he played) to shake hands or sign autographs. I will make a caveat to that and say that the price of admission covers your recommended $50 fee; I’m sure both Mr. Jeter and the team already make enough money and shouldn’t suck additional fees from fans who simply want a memory.

• Professor Fate - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Actually I was thinking of a tour separate from actual games. This way no one is disappointed when the manager makes a baseball decision that trumps an appearance that is simply for the sake of the fans. I stopped going to games years ago when the price became absurd and some of the fans more than unruly. Obviously many fans disagree and are still willing to pay the going rate. Another $50 shouldn’t mean much, especially if Jeter donated it to charity.

I’m sorry your nephew didn’t get to see his hero play during his heyday. Here’s hoping he admires/follows other players he’ll get a chance to see play in their primes rather than having to hope a two-decade veteran on his last hurrah is healthy enough to take the field. Most of my first post was rather snarky. Kudos to you for not taking the (mostly) deserved opportunity to tell me off.

4. vallewho - Apr 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Yeah, enough with the farewell tours, news, and press-conferences…Just play when the game when your name is in the lineup and enjoy retirement when the year is done…

5. cardslifer - Apr 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM

All I care about as far as Jeter goes is having him play when he comes to St. Louis.

Cardinal fans don’t get to see many sure fire HOF’ers come to their ballpark.

Still anticipating Albert’s return. I think there will be some boo’s, but I think many fans realize what be brought
    to STL and I have I feeling many could witness one of the greatest Standing Ovations of all time.

Time will time, but I’m sure waiting for both of those players to make it to Busch Stadium.

• spol85 - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM

“Cardinal fans don’t get to see many sure fire HOF’ers come to their ballpark. ”

Do the Cardinals play against different teams than everyone else?
      Do sure fire HOFers purposely skip their teams trips to St. Louis?

Please explain how Cardinal fans do not get to see many of these stars as everyone else does.

• cardslifer - Apr 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I was simply implying that there seems to better veteran players in the AL that are getting older in age.

I forgot that posting a harmless post on here normally turns into a pissing match.

And you can save your time and not reply because I won’t be back to argue with you or be put down by someone who clearly knows everything about baseball and each cities level of enjoyment welcoming great players to their ballpark.

But feel free to comment since I’m sure it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside to put other people down for comments that aren’t based on fact, but their thoughts on the story.

• Professor Fate - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I thought it was a legitimate question.

6. Kevin Gillman - Apr 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Not that I am against sitting Jeter again, because I am not. But things like this, and players today not playing 162 games shows what kind of streak Cal Ripken, Jr went through. We will never see streaks like that again.

7. doctorfootball - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM

What’s with the drama, Mr. Silva? A picture of Jeter walking off the field, over dramatizing a simple situation where a 39 yr old player, who will be needed late in the season, needs to rest his quad.

8. hojo20 - Apr 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM

A couple years ago ESPN was hyping that Jeter could possible break Rose’s hit record….LOL

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3601)