Apr 13, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
From Cubs beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Cubs official confirms Javier Baez turned his ankle taking groundballs with Triple-A Iowa on Friday and will go on the DL.
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) April 13, 2014
It sounds like a sprain, which shouldn’t sideline Baez for more than a couple weeks. The top prospect was off to a sluggish start this year with the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with a .637 OPS and 10 strikeouts in eight games played. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League.
Baseball Prospectus ranked Baez the No. 4 prospect in the game this winter.
The 21-year-old should be up in the majors by the end of the 2014 season.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)