Apr 13, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
From Cubs beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Cubs official confirms Javier Baez turned his ankle taking groundballs with Triple-A Iowa on Friday and will go on the DL.
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) April 13, 2014
It sounds like a sprain, which shouldn’t sideline Baez for more than a couple weeks. The top prospect was off to a sluggish start this year with the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with a .637 OPS and 10 strikeouts in eight games played. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League.
Baseball Prospectus ranked Baez the No. 4 prospect in the game this winter.
The 21-year-old should be up in the majors by the end of the 2014 season.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 9
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 48
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 112
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)