Apr 13, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
From Cubs beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Cubs official confirms Javier Baez turned his ankle taking groundballs with Triple-A Iowa on Friday and will go on the DL.
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) April 13, 2014
It sounds like a sprain, which shouldn’t sideline Baez for more than a couple weeks. The top prospect was off to a sluggish start this year with the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with a .637 OPS and 10 strikeouts in eight games played. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League.
Baseball Prospectus ranked Baez the No. 4 prospect in the game this winter.
The 21-year-old should be up in the majors by the end of the 2014 season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 34
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 84
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)