Apr 13, 2014, 3:14 PM EST
From Cubs beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Cubs official confirms Javier Baez turned his ankle taking groundballs with Triple-A Iowa on Friday and will go on the DL.
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) April 13, 2014
It sounds like a sprain, which shouldn’t sideline Baez for more than a couple weeks. The top prospect was off to a sluggish start this year with the Iowa Cubs, batting just .154 with a .637 OPS and 10 strikeouts in eight games played. He hit .310 with five home runs in 42 at-bats this spring in the Cactus League.
Baseball Prospectus ranked Baez the No. 4 prospect in the game this winter.
The 21-year-old should be up in the majors by the end of the 2014 season.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 287
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)