Jimmy Rollins dedicates walkoff homer to heckler

Apr 13, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT

jimmy rollins getty Getty Images

Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins drove a 10th-inning Dan Jennings pitch over the left field wall at Citizens Bank Park on Saturday night to give his club a 5-4 walkoff win over the visiting Marlins. As Rollins trotted out of the batter’s box to begin his celebratory stroll around the bases he appeared to shout a few words at his own dugout. Turns out, he was actually jawing at a fan — a Phillies fan, presumably — who was sitting in the first couple of rows and had been rudely heckling him throughout his decisive at-bat.

Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has more ….

At first glance, it appeared as if Rollins might have been emoting toward his teammates. But upon further review, Rollins was giving an earful to a heckler in the box seats.

“Some fan in the stands popping off,” Rollins said. “He was right behind our dugout. He was close enough to yell, and he pissed me off, honestly.”

Rollins said the fan said “something pretty ignorant” after the first pitch of the at-bat. He would not expound.

But Rollins had no qualms recounting what he said to the fan as he broke from the batter’s box.

“I very politely told him to shut the F up,” Rollins said.

And that’s just the way he said it.

“He started chirping right after my first swing,” Rollins said. “I wanted to do it right when he said it, but I still had an at-bat to get through.

“You hear it a lot. A lot of times you want to say something back. This time I was able to.”

Rollins was pressed as to what the fan said that made him so angry.

Again, he would not expound.

Rollins, 35, is batting .316/.395/.553 with seven runs and 10 RBI in nine games played this season.

1. renaado - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Well… At least heckling sure does have it’s use.

2. udkidd - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Asshole Phillies fan. Why pay to see a Phillies game, be a Phillies fan and then heckle. Don’t understand.

• thomas844 - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Because it’s a Phillies fan, that’s why lol

• greymares - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Ever see a fu*ken Yankee fan ?

• thomas844 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I only see Yankee fans when they are winning, cause when they are losing, there are no fans to be found haha

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 13, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Plenty of us are here. And what team, pray tell, do you root for?

• zengreaser - Apr 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM

You have it all wrong. When you pay to see a team, you have every right to boo or heckle (as long as it’s clean). That’s the right of every paying fan. You don’t hand over hard-earned dollars to see millionaires suck at their jobs and not have a right to boo. Because that’s what my Phillies have done in recent years: suck. And honestly, Jimmy deserved it. Going into that game he was batting somewhere around .214. TWO FOURTEEN! That guy has been coasting on cruise-control for better part of the past 2 seasons. I’m glad he helped us win the game, but that doesn’t make him (or any other player) exempt from being booed.

• RickyB - Apr 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

.214, seriously? I know he has been an out machine, but the dude is hitting “.316/.395/.553 with seven runs and 10 RBI in nine games” as it says right in the article. Some fan …

3. aresachaela - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

HAHAHA!! Phillies fans at it’s finest 8-).

4. cktailgrl - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Look what happened when they heckled Ryan Braun…three longballs…keep it up Phillies fans; your mouth will drive you into the basement.

• chiadam - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Except for when the homer is hit by a Phillie.

• 18thstreet - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM

The GM is doing that.

5. timmons94 - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Phillies fans heckling one of their own. A guy who helped them win a title. Wow. Only in filthy

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Never anywhere else, huh? Some day you may want to….I don’t know…think before you type.

Leaving aside the fact this incident was with one fan (not the whole stadium), check A-Rod standing among Yankee fans after they won in 2009. Or any of the other multitudes of players this happened to.

• 18thstreet - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Josh Beckett became hated in Boston. Never thought I’d see the day that Boston would heckle a guy who won a World Series for the locals, but it happened. Beckett had to work hard to make it happen, but he’s an impressive guy.

6. cktailgrl - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

…not to mention heckling your own guy in your own house is just bad sportsmanship

7. bbk1000 - Apr 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I hate the Phillies……I really hate the Phillies…..but it’s hard to hate this guy.

8. cur'68 - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I’ve spent time in CBP. Its very nice there. A pleasant place to watch a game. In fact I have some lovely memories from there that haven’t much to do with baseball. I never heard anyone heckling or being in any way rude. It was a great experience. Its a shame that Rollins, a home town player, should be in for rudeness and the ignorance of some likely lone drunken dork. It’s just the sort of thing that allows others to make sweeping comments about the rest of the Phans.

• mississipeepee - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

“I never heard anyone heckling or being in any way rude” said the deaf Phillies fan

• cur'68 - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM

You new here, Bubba? I am SO not a Phillie Phan.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I never have either. Please tell me about your experiences there.

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Maybe they should post motivational signs for the Phans:

Younz Behave, Younz On TV

Please Don’t Heckle The Home Team

No One Asked Younz (or just: Eff Off)

If You’re In The Stands, You Are Not A Batting Expert

• cur'68 - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

That last one? That’s GOLD baby. GOLD.

• scotttheskeptic - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Younz is Pittsburgh, not Philly. Edited for regional accuracy, the first would be:

Yo, behave. Yous on TV

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Thank yous.

• Barry's Triceps - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Yinz is pittsburgh. Hence “yinzers.”

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Good gravy, y’all make it complicated. We just use “y’all” for everything — simplify, simplify, simplify.

• 18thstreet - Apr 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I’ve never been. I went to a game at the Vet, though. It was great. The fans preemptively booed a new reliever who — in my memory — proceeded to blow the game. The new guy, who was welcomed with a big cheer, did great. The fans were right, and the manager was wrong. I’ve also never been at a game where the fans consistently caught foul balls — because they were watching.

Small sample size, but my experience with Phillies fans was great.

On the other hand, the worst fan experience I ever had was a Caps-Flyers game in DC. Those people were a-holes.

9. schmedley69 - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Rube, give that heckler one if your famous long- term deals. It’s not easy to motivate Jimmy.

• renaado - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Give him some free hotdog and a beer and certainly it’s a done deal.

• aresachaela - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM

You really need to put more humor in your jokes Ren. :-P

10. tfbuckfutter - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

People should have given him crap a lot sooner.

Maybe he wouldn’t have been so awful for the last 5 or 6 years.

Coach threatens his job, fans give him crap and suddenly dude can play again.

11. xmatt0926x - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I love the phony moral outrage by the posters here. I think booing or heckling, whatever you want to call it, is low brow and ignorant. The only thing more absurd is to pretend that fans in every stadium on the planet haven’t at one time or another booed or heckled one of their own players.

But hey, it’s a Phillies article so non-Phillies fans need to jump on this because, you know, that’s so much more intelligent than the idiot fan who was heckling Rollins last night. Too funny.

• schmedley69 - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Nicely said.

12. 4d3fect - Apr 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Phillies fans be trollin’

13. luvusa1 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

timmons: Go away..you are one of the most ignorant posters on here. Congrats on achieving such a low IQ IDIOT.

14. luvusa1 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM

@cktailgrl: Any ballpark outside of Milwaukee have been booing Braun, not just Philly fans, try to keep up.

15. motorcitydiddy - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Only happens in Philly? I’m sure Prince Fielder can attest otherwise.

16. prostock75 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I can understand other team’s fans not understanding why he would be heckled. The fact is though, he has been dogging it since the 2008 season and has thrown it in the fan’s face repeatedly. He is not very well liked in Philly and he deserves everything he gets. Do a little rrsearch and you will understand. He dogs every groundball no matter how many times he has been benched…told the world he will not wave his NTC until he has all the Phils records he is close to. I could go on for days, he is a horrible influence on the young guys and plays only for himself

17. prostock75 - Apr 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I should say dogging it since they won the WS…been on autopilot

18. eaglesw00t - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I guess people missed the “presumably” part? I was 8 rows behind this guy. He wasn’t a Phillies fan. You’re a bunch of ignorant imbeciles.

19. Carl Hancock - Apr 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I hate the Phillies and my worst experience at a baseball game was in Philly because of how rude the fans were. And that was just the kids and teenagers. Good on Rollins for getting the last laugh on a fan heckling his own favorite teams player. I would have told him to shut the F up too in that situation. With a big grin which I’m sure Rollins probably had on his face.

20. luvusa1 - Apr 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Well Carl, perhaps it was because a) you were an out of towner looking for a fight or b) drunk or c) new to the sports world and just don’t get it. Amazing how no other ballpark has the same issues. Wow. Laughable!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3859)