Apr 13, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
It’s going to be at least another month before right-hander Mat Latos is able to join the Reds’ rotation.
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon reports that Latos has been diagnosed with a flexor mass strain in his elbow and will be shut down for 10-14 days. When he does resume his throwing program, it will be almost like starting over from the beginning of spring training.
Latos opened the 2014 regular season on the disabled list because of February knee surgery. He had been aiming to make his debut around mid-April, but he felt discomfort in his forearm during a bullpen session on Friday afternoon and an MRI taken Saturday in Cincinnati revealed the flexor mass strain.
“It’s a setback in his recovery,” Reds skipper Bryan Price told MLB.com. “It’s more time off to let it recover, let it simmer down, get the inflammation out and start back up. We’ll keep working hard on staying in shape and doing all the other things that he’s capable of doing. His timetable will be pushed back fairly significantly.”
Latos, 26, posted a 3.16 ERA (121 ERA+) and 187 strikeouts across 210 2/3 innings last season.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 68
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)