Apr 13, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
It’s going to be at least another month before right-hander Mat Latos is able to join the Reds’ rotation.
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon reports that Latos has been diagnosed with a flexor mass strain in his elbow and will be shut down for 10-14 days. When he does resume his throwing program, it will be almost like starting over from the beginning of spring training.
Latos opened the 2014 regular season on the disabled list because of February knee surgery. He had been aiming to make his debut around mid-April, but he felt discomfort in his forearm during a bullpen session on Friday afternoon and an MRI taken Saturday in Cincinnati revealed the flexor mass strain.
“It’s a setback in his recovery,” Reds skipper Bryan Price told MLB.com. “It’s more time off to let it recover, let it simmer down, get the inflammation out and start back up. We’ll keep working hard on staying in shape and doing all the other things that he’s capable of doing. His timetable will be pushed back fairly significantly.”
Latos, 26, posted a 3.16 ERA (121 ERA+) and 187 strikeouts across 210 2/3 innings last season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)