Rockies starter Brett Anderson to miss 4-6 weeks with a broken finger

Apr 13, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT

Brett Anderson Brett Anderson

Rockies starter Brett Anderson left Saturday’s start with what was diagnosed by the team as a finger contusion. X-rays taken after the fact, however, revealed a broken index finger, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post. Anderson sustained the injury after making contact with a Matt Cain pitch, shaking his hand in pain as he jogged up the first base line in the third inning.

Anderson just can’t seem to have any luck when it comes to staying healthy. The 26-year-old lefty last accrued 100 innings in a season in 2010, when he made 19 starts for the Athletics.

Following a good spring showing, Anderson had been shaky to open up the 2014 regular season, allowing nine runs (six earned) in 15 innings across three starts. Franklin Morales, who lost his spot in the rotation to Jordan Lyles, will take Anderson’s spot in the rotation.

1. 4d3fect - Apr 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM

And here I thought it was just a hangnail..

2. oldschoolwillie - Apr 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Harden, Bedard, Prior, and this dude.

3. tuberippin - Apr 14, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Anyone have April 12th as their guess in the Brett Anderson Injury Pool?

4. jeffbbf - Apr 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Let me get this straight…he broke his finger when the ball made contact with the bat? The ball didn’t hit his finger? It boggles the mind. I almost felt sorry for him. Then I remembered he’ll be drawing $8 million to nurse a broken finger. Then l felt sorry for the Rockies. Then I remembered the Rockies actually traded for the guy. Then I felt happy for the A’s.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I think he was the director’s first choice for Samuel L. Jackson’s character in Unbreakable. Unfortunately, Anderson was hurt so he couldn’t do it.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2482)