Apr 13, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Recently, ESPN’s Buster Olney published quotes from anonymous baseball executives on the value of free agents Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew, who remain jobless due to the draft pick compensation attached to them. Their agent, Scott Boras, is none too pleased.
Per Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, Boras says the comments constitute “a clear violation of the CBA”.
“It’s a clear violation of the CBA,” Boras said in a phone interview. “As many as five executives continue to use ESPN as a conduit to violate the collective bargaining agreement.”
“The bell is rung,” Boras continued. “Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew were damaged by these comments.”
Union director Tony Clark wasn’t happy about it either, also saying that the comments violated the collective bargaining agreement. He called for commissioner Bud Selig to investigate the comments and punish the executives who made the comments.
It is believed that both Morales and Drew will remain unsigned until after the upcoming amateur draft. Following the draft, the draft pick compensation attached to them will go away and teams will be free to sign them at no penalty. Players are expected to continue to decline qualifying offers.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 0
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 45
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 24
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)