Apr 14, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Adrian Beltre was placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left quadriceps muscle, but that doesn’t mean that he has to like it. In fact, he’s leaving little doubt about that.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Beltre said today that he didn’t agree with the team’s decision to place on him on the disabled list:
“I felt I could manage it,” said Beltre, who has dealt with numerous hamstring strains, but never a quad injury. “But this is a different injury than I’m used to. There was nothing I could say because the decision was already made.
“Over the course of last year, I was to the point of going on the DL, but I ended up playing 161 games,” Beltre said. “It didn’t sit well with me, but they probably have more information than I do. They want to be more cautious than I probably do.”
Beltre is a competitive guy, so you wouldn’t expect him to say anything different. But that’s why the decision isn’t up to him. Given his age and injury history, there’s no need to risk making things worse. The 35-year-old was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, the least severe, so he could be ready to return on April 27 against the Mariners if all goes well.
Kevin Kouzmanoff is expected to function as the regular third baseman for Texas during his absence.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (219)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)