Apr 14, 2014, 7:01 PM EST
Adrian Beltre was placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left quadriceps muscle, but that doesn’t mean that he has to like it. In fact, he’s leaving little doubt about that.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Beltre said today that he didn’t agree with the team’s decision to place on him on the disabled list:
“I felt I could manage it,” said Beltre, who has dealt with numerous hamstring strains, but never a quad injury. “But this is a different injury than I’m used to. There was nothing I could say because the decision was already made.
“Over the course of last year, I was to the point of going on the DL, but I ended up playing 161 games,” Beltre said. “It didn’t sit well with me, but they probably have more information than I do. They want to be more cautious than I probably do.”
Beltre is a competitive guy, so you wouldn’t expect him to say anything different. But that’s why the decision isn’t up to him. Given his age and injury history, there’s no need to risk making things worse. The 35-year-old was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, the least severe, so he could be ready to return on April 27 against the Mariners if all goes well.
Kevin Kouzmanoff is expected to function as the regular third baseman for Texas during his absence.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)