Apr 14, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Adrian Beltre was placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left quadriceps muscle, but that doesn’t mean that he has to like it. In fact, he’s leaving little doubt about that.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Beltre said today that he didn’t agree with the team’s decision to place on him on the disabled list:
“I felt I could manage it,” said Beltre, who has dealt with numerous hamstring strains, but never a quad injury. “But this is a different injury than I’m used to. There was nothing I could say because the decision was already made.
“Over the course of last year, I was to the point of going on the DL, but I ended up playing 161 games,” Beltre said. “It didn’t sit well with me, but they probably have more information than I do. They want to be more cautious than I probably do.”
Beltre is a competitive guy, so you wouldn’t expect him to say anything different. But that’s why the decision isn’t up to him. Given his age and injury history, there’s no need to risk making things worse. The 35-year-old was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, the least severe, so he could be ready to return on April 27 against the Mariners if all goes well.
Kevin Kouzmanoff is expected to function as the regular third baseman for Texas during his absence.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)