Apr 14, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Adrian Beltre was placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday with a strained left quadriceps muscle, but that doesn’t mean that he has to like it. In fact, he’s leaving little doubt about that.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Beltre said today that he didn’t agree with the team’s decision to place on him on the disabled list:
“I felt I could manage it,” said Beltre, who has dealt with numerous hamstring strains, but never a quad injury. “But this is a different injury than I’m used to. There was nothing I could say because the decision was already made.
“Over the course of last year, I was to the point of going on the DL, but I ended up playing 161 games,” Beltre said. “It didn’t sit well with me, but they probably have more information than I do. They want to be more cautious than I probably do.”
Beltre is a competitive guy, so you wouldn’t expect him to say anything different. But that’s why the decision isn’t up to him. Given his age and injury history, there’s no need to risk making things worse. The 35-year-old was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, the least severe, so he could be ready to return on April 27 against the Mariners if all goes well.
Kevin Kouzmanoff is expected to function as the regular third baseman for Texas during his absence.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)