Apr 14, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
Quote of the day territory here. Last night, Francisco Cervelli was covering first base for the Yankees because of injuries to Mark Teixeira‘s, Derek Jeter and Brian Roberts, giving Joe Girardi no other options. Then Cervelli — who himself only had two games experience at first base in his entire professional career — went down with a hamstring injury.
Left with the choice of putting either Ichiro or Carlos Beltran at first base, Girardi chose Beltran. Who did OK, actually. He didn’t have to field any balls hit his way and handled the handful of infield putout throw to first base without incident. But he was nervous about it. Here’s what he had to say after the game:
“In the outfield, I want them to hit it to me. But, today, I was like, please, God, hit it somewhere else.”
But, like I said, he did fine. And he took the position without complaint or hesitation.
Remember back when Beltran played for the Mets and anonymous Mets sources and their buddies in the Mets press corps liked to paint him as selfish? Yeah, that was pretty dumb.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 0
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)