Apr 14, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Quote of the day territory here. Last night, Francisco Cervelli was covering first base for the Yankees because of injuries to Mark Teixeira‘s, Derek Jeter and Brian Roberts, giving Joe Girardi no other options. Then Cervelli — who himself only had two games experience at first base in his entire professional career — went down with a hamstring injury.
Left with the choice of putting either Ichiro or Carlos Beltran at first base, Girardi chose Beltran. Who did OK, actually. He didn’t have to field any balls hit his way and handled the handful of infield putout throw to first base without incident. But he was nervous about it. Here’s what he had to say after the game:
“In the outfield, I want them to hit it to me. But, today, I was like, please, God, hit it somewhere else.”
But, like I said, he did fine. And he took the position without complaint or hesitation.
Remember back when Beltran played for the Mets and anonymous Mets sources and their buddies in the Mets press corps liked to paint him as selfish? Yeah, that was pretty dumb.
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 0
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)