Apr 14, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
After Dan Uggla put the Braves ahead of the Phillies in the top of the ninth this evening in Philadelphia with a grand slam off Jake Diekman, David Carpenter — not Craig Kimbrel — came out to finish off the victory. Now we know why.
Kevin McAlpin of 680 The Fan in Atlanta reports that Kimbrel was unavailable tonight due to right shoulder soreness. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said that the issue crept up over the weekend. For now, it doesn’t appear to be a major concern, as Kimbrel said after the game that he hopes to be good to go after “a few days.”
Perhaps this will turn out to be nothing, but a shoulder issue with the game’s best closer is obviously worth watching. The Braves will cross their fingers for now.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20