Apr 14, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
After Dan Uggla put the Braves ahead of the Phillies in the top of the ninth this evening in Philadelphia with a grand slam off Jake Diekman, David Carpenter — not Craig Kimbrel — came out to finish off the victory. Now we know why.
Kevin McAlpin of 680 The Fan in Atlanta reports that Kimbrel was unavailable tonight due to right shoulder soreness. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said that the issue crept up over the weekend. For now, it doesn’t appear to be a major concern, as Kimbrel said after the game that he hopes to be good to go after “a few days.”
Perhaps this will turn out to be nothing, but a shoulder issue with the game’s best closer is obviously worth watching. The Braves will cross their fingers for now.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)