Apr 14, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
After Dan Uggla put the Braves ahead of the Phillies in the top of the ninth this evening in Philadelphia with a grand slam off Jake Diekman, David Carpenter — not Craig Kimbrel — came out to finish off the victory. Now we know why.
Kevin McAlpin of 680 The Fan in Atlanta reports that Kimbrel was unavailable tonight due to right shoulder soreness. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said that the issue crept up over the weekend. For now, it doesn’t appear to be a major concern, as Kimbrel said after the game that he hopes to be good to go after “a few days.”
Perhaps this will turn out to be nothing, but a shoulder issue with the game’s best closer is obviously worth watching. The Braves will cross their fingers for now.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 59
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)