Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home

Apr 14, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

GLANVILLE

Whenever race comes up around here there are always people who like to talk about how racism doesn’t exist anymore and they don’t see color and stuff like that. About how people who bring up racism are the real racists. Or at least the people who are actually obsessed with race.

They’re cute in their own twisted way.

I’m curious to see their response to this story by former major leaguer Doug Glanville. He was shoveling his own driveway in his upscale Hartford, Connecticut neighborhood when a police officer — from a different jurisdiction, actually — came up to him and assumed he was some itinerant jobber trying to make a few bucks by annoying white people into allowing him to shovel their driveways.

As Glanville explains, he is trying to use the experience as a teachable moment. But as he also makes clear: this isn’t some freakishly rare thing. And even though he himself was not substantially harmed by the incident in the eyes of most people, it does not make it a harmless incident.

But please, if you do wish to continue on with the notion that racism is something that died in 1964, by all means, explain how this fits in with your world view.

127 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. idolized1 - Apr 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I have witnessed racism go both ways and I know one thing that is for sure:

I hate it.

All of it.

2. yahmule - Apr 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Doug Glanville’s favorite band was Hall and Oates. If black guys like him are getting profiled, not even Wayne Brady is safe.

3. peymax1693 - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I have a friend who is of Filipino-Mexican descent who was driving his BMW in Arlington, MA (an upscale suburb of Boston) when he was pulled over by a police officer and asked what he was doing in Arlington. My friend said to officer “just living here” and proceeded to hand the officer his driver’s license showing that he lived in Arlington.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Boston racist? C’mon…that’s like saying New York is a friendly place.

4. earpaniac - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Racists? Yes, always. Racism as an institutional practice? No.

5. brewcrewchamps - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Racism absolutely exists. Does it get abused in some cases? I think so. The movie Role Models kinda explains it how I see the world doing it in not a humorous way.

“You think I did it because I’m black?”
    “No because you did it is why I think you did it.”

The practice is used and abused by certain people. I also don’t get why it generally is white people getting all up in arms about it yet the people who could/should/would be offended don’t care in the slightest. If I’m being ignorant please by all means enlighten me, but this is how I have observed it.

6. jimeejohnson - Apr 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM

“They’re cute in their own twisted way.”

Perfect description of the right wing bass turd.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3286)
  2. J. Kang (3119)
  3. C. McGehee (2835)
  4. J. Upton (2815)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2812)
  1. D. Ross (2607)