Apr 14, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Blue Jays were dealt a tough blow to their infield today, as John Lott of the National Post reports that Maicer Izturis was diagnosed with a complete tear of the LCL (lateral collateral ligament) in his left knee. Surgery is expected and includes a recovery time of 4-6 months, potentially ending his season.
It was a freak injury for Izturis, as he tripped on a step in the dugout while walking to the bat rack during yesterday’s win over the Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he felt two pops in his knee.
Izturis was off to a solid start this season, hitting .286 (10-for-35) with one double, one RBI, and one stolen base over 11 games. Ryan Goins, who is hitting .107 (3-for-28) this season, figures to get most of the playing time at second base for now.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 56
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 1
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 131
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (131)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)