Apr 14, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Blue Jays were dealt a tough blow to their infield today, as John Lott of the National Post reports that Maicer Izturis was diagnosed with a complete tear of the LCL (lateral collateral ligament) in his left knee. Surgery is expected and includes a recovery time of 4-6 months, potentially ending his season.
It was a freak injury for Izturis, as he tripped on a step in the dugout while walking to the bat rack during yesterday’s win over the Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he felt two pops in his knee.
Izturis was off to a solid start this season, hitting .286 (10-for-35) with one double, one RBI, and one stolen base over 11 games. Ryan Goins, who is hitting .107 (3-for-28) this season, figures to get most of the playing time at second base for now.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 18
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 3
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)