Apr 14, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Blue Jays were dealt a tough blow to their infield today, as John Lott of the National Post reports that Maicer Izturis was diagnosed with a complete tear of the LCL (lateral collateral ligament) in his left knee. Surgery is expected and includes a recovery time of 4-6 months, potentially ending his season.
It was a freak injury for Izturis, as he tripped on a step in the dugout while walking to the bat rack during yesterday’s win over the Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he felt two pops in his knee.
Izturis was off to a solid start this season, hitting .286 (10-for-35) with one double, one RBI, and one stolen base over 11 games. Ryan Goins, who is hitting .107 (3-for-28) this season, figures to get most of the playing time at second base for now.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)