Apr 14, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
The Blue Jays were dealt a tough blow to their infield today, as John Lott of the National Post reports that Maicer Izturis was diagnosed with a complete tear of the LCL (lateral collateral ligament) in his left knee. Surgery is expected and includes a recovery time of 4-6 months, potentially ending his season.
It was a freak injury for Izturis, as he tripped on a step in the dugout while walking to the bat rack during yesterday’s win over the Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he felt two pops in his knee.
Izturis was off to a solid start this season, hitting .286 (10-for-35) with one double, one RBI, and one stolen base over 11 games. Ryan Goins, who is hitting .107 (3-for-28) this season, figures to get most of the playing time at second base for now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 0
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)