Apr 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
I have no idea what the Nationals’ obsession is with saying they’re better than the Braves while getting their butts handed to them in mid-April series, but they’ve gone and done it again.
Last year the Braves swept the Nats in a three-game series that took place April 12-14. In between games two and three of that series, Danny Espinosa and Stephen Strasburg both said that they weren’t impressed with Atlanta and that, in their opinion, the Nats are better than the Braves.
Flash forward exactly one year, between games two and three of a Nats-Braves series and here’s Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo:
Mike Rizzo on the Braves: “We feel that we’re better than this team. We respect them & respect the organization. We don’t fear them.”
— James Wagner (@JamesWagnerWP) April 13, 2014
So of course the Braves won yesterday to sweep the Nats once again.
Over the past two seasons Atlanta is 18-7 against the Nationals and won the division over them by ten games last year. One would think that, eventually, someone on that club might at least be open to the possibility that they’re not quite as superior as they fancy themselves.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)