Apr 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
I have no idea what the Nationals’ obsession is with saying they’re better than the Braves while getting their butts handed to them in mid-April series, but they’ve gone and done it again.
Last year the Braves swept the Nats in a three-game series that took place April 12-14. In between games two and three of that series, Danny Espinosa and Stephen Strasburg both said that they weren’t impressed with Atlanta and that, in their opinion, the Nats are better than the Braves.
Flash forward exactly one year, between games two and three of a Nats-Braves series and here’s Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo:
Mike Rizzo on the Braves: “We feel that we’re better than this team. We respect them & respect the organization. We don’t fear them.”
— James Wagner (@JamesWagnerWP) April 13, 2014
So of course the Braves won yesterday to sweep the Nats once again.
Over the past two seasons Atlanta is 18-7 against the Nationals and won the division over them by ten games last year. One would think that, eventually, someone on that club might at least be open to the possibility that they’re not quite as superior as they fancy themselves.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)