Apr 14, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Last season Mets manager Terry Collins was criticized for overusing rookie left-hander Scott Rice, who appeared in 73 of the team’s first 137 games before needing hernia surgery in early September.
This season Rice is struggling and Collins more or less admitted yesterday that he thinks it’s because of the huge 2013 workload, telling Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
The guy pitched in 73 games last year. And a lot of times the next year, when you pitch in that many games for the first time in your life, your arm doesn’t bounce back real fast. It takes a little time. I’ve seen it where, unfortunately, you’ve got to go through it.
That’s sort of a “hey, what are you gonna do?” response to a question that I’m sure Rice at least feels probably deserves more thought. With that said, Rice was a 31-year-old rookie who finally made the big leagues after 14 years in the minors and, based on his lengthy track record there, it’s possible that he’s simply a borderline major leaguer. We may never know for sure, though, because Collins rode him so hard right away.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 81
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (87)