Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists
Apr 15, 2014, 1:19 PM EST
This is both ironic and pathetic. Last week, as we celebrated the anniversary of Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth’s home run record, Aaron recounted the hate mail and threats he received back in the 70s as he approached the milestone. In doing so, he noted that racism isn’t dead. It’s just changed and has become more insidious.
Some people got mad at that. So mad that they decided to send racist hate mail to Aaron. From Bob Nightengale at USA Today:
Sheer racism, exposed in vile letters directed to Hall of Fame great Hank Aaron, have poured into the Atlanta Braves offices this past week.
Yes, it was like 1974 all over again, the year he broke Babe Ruth’s all-time home run record, with letters laced with the most hateful epithet known to African Americans.
“Hank Aaron is a scumbag piece of (expletive) (racial slur)” a man named Edward says in an e-mail to the Braves front office and obtained by USA TODAY Sports.
Edward invokes the epithet five times in four sentences, closing with, “My old man instilled in my mind from a young age, the only good (racial slur) is a dead (racial slur).”
OK, dude. We see your point. Apologies. There is no racism anymore. Hank Aaron was wrong to even suggest it.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 33
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)