Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists

Apr 15, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT

Hank Aaron AP AP

This is both ironic and pathetic. Last week, as we celebrated the anniversary of Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth’s home run record, Aaron recounted the hate mail and threats he received back in the 70s as he approached the milestone. In doing so, he noted that racism isn’t dead. It’s just changed and has become more insidious.

Some people got mad at that. So mad that they decided to send racist hate mail to Aaron. From Bob Nightengale at USA Today:

Sheer racism, exposed in vile letters directed to Hall of Fame great Hank Aaron, have poured into the Atlanta Braves offices this past week.

Yes, it was like 1974 all over again, the year he broke Babe Ruth’s all-time home run record, with letters laced with the most hateful epithet known to African Americans.

“Hank Aaron is a scumbag piece of (expletive) (racial slur)” a man named Edward says in an e-mail to the Braves front office and obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Edward invokes the epithet five times in four sentences, closing with, “My old man instilled in my mind from a young age, the only good (racial slur) is a dead (racial slur).”

OK, dude. We see your point. Apologies. There is no racism anymore. Hank Aaron was wrong to even suggest it.

Good lord.

249 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM

jeez

2. thisdamnbox - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Disgusting…So very proud of my country…

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Whereas I’m not entirely unsympathetic to your disappointment, I would ask you to remember that your country did recently elect, and more recently re-elect, a black man to the highest office in the land.

• jrob23 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM

half black

• gibbyfan - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

My old man instilled in my mind from a young age, the only good (racial slur) is a dead (racial slur).”………
        sadly herein lies all too often can be found the genesis of the problem. It is not entirely unlke an insidious highly contageous disease.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Instilled by racist pea brain parents to kids too stupid to think for themselves. Yet they blame teachers!

3. brandotho - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Way to not even post the actual quote from Aaron, which was very imprudent itself. Nobody says racism is dead, and Aaron doesn’t deserve this garbage, but comparing the Republican Party to the Ku Klux Klan was very unwise on his part.

• billybawl - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM

And you didn’t post it either. Here’s the quote from USA Today:

“To remind myself,” Aaron tells USA TODAY Sports, “that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record. If you think that, you are fooling yourself. A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go. There’s not a whole lot that has changed.

“We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics. Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he’s treated.

“We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country.

“The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.”

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:39 PM

From a completely unbiased 3rd party here… I’d say the quote you posted actually backs Brando. To me, that quote reads as the Republicans are weighing down and holding back BO, and that the biggest difference between those holding BO back (Republicans) and clan members is hoods v. neckties/starched shirts.

While I do not disagree that racism still exists, to make such a boldfaced comparison is asinine. Big time.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I’m retracting BB. Well… sort of. I stand my ground that the interpretation can be easily derived based on the context and the immediate mention of Republicans holding back BO preceding his racist comment, HOWEVER I would like to retract where I said he made a bold faced comparison. I/we don’t know for sure whether or not that was intention. He may have had a few thoughts run together and it just came out that way, or he slipped it in their intentionally. We don’t know. I’ll simply say IF he did intend to point out that Republicans are today’s racists that he would be out of line.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I think everyone is missing the very important fashion analysis here. Aaron says there is improvement and racists are dressing better. Clearly, upward mobility has allowed them to improve appearances…or, maybe the addition of all those corporate persons has classed up the bunch. But everybody’s mad because he doesn’t think they’re all Bubbas in sheets. Okay.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Yeah, that kind of thing can get you a burning cross on your front lawn.

• braddavery - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Exactly. No one seems to bring up the idiotic sentiments that Aaron should have kept to himself. Are the people sending racist hatemail to Aaron a-holes? You betcha. But he isn’t above criticism for bold, dumb statements just because he’s black and has been treated despicably at times in his life. Honorable men and women forgive and forget, the weak dwell on the past and pass judgement based on race, color, sexual orientation, political affiliation, etc…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Oh this is just rich. What was idiotic about his statement?

• braddavery - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I think that people are in denial that Aaron equated the republican party to a bigoted party. It’s right there in quotes. It’s implied, but it is there. I agree with him that a higher percentage of bigots seem to swing conservative, but implying what he implied is a slap to the face of any non-bigoted republican. The guy isn’t a saint because he is one of the top-5 to 10 greatest baseball players of all-time.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Maybe he can use all of that time he would have spent voting to work on his “forgive and forget” skills.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM

implying what he implied is a slap to the face of any non-bigoted republican.

• fantom21 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

It’s just as hard to convince the racist that he’s wrong as it is to convince Aaron that racism is not as bad as it once was.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

“You admit that there’s a portion of the party that is bigoted. So he pointed that out. So I ask again, what’s idiotic about it?”

Church- Come on now, I think it’s fair to assume that a portion of every party is bigoted, wouldn’t you say? Assuming that ONLY the Republicans have bigoted folks among them is narrow minded. I won’t pull the Democratic history, but I believe there was a time that they were slightly bigoted as well.

Honestly I’m just sick of assumptions being tied to political parties. It’s enough to make some voters want to avoid being tied to a party simply so we can avoid the stigma that comes with BOTH major parties.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

• stevejohnson38 - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM

“When’s the last time the Democratic party introduced legislation that disproportionately harmed minorities? Just because they did something some time ago doesn’t make them equal to a party that continues to do it NOW.”

*The DFL resistance to charter schools.
        *The various DFL city planning schemes that drive up rental prices…
        *The minimum wage and it’s hikes….
        *The championing of looser standards on deportation and illegal immigrants
        *I would argue that the various welfare systems are designed to largely promote dependence, and have disproportionally caught minorities in their system of perverse
        *Social Security: Minorities such as latinos, native americans, and african americans live shorter lives, but have to pay equally into a system they have less opportunity to enjoy.
        *Affirmative Action: discriminates against the Asian Minority.

I could go on, but I would like to know that if Democratic policy is so friendly to minorities, why is it that the inner cities where DFL leadership flourishes is a place where there are so many disparaged people belonging to a minority?

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Are you friggin serious with that “honorable men and women forgive and forget” crap??? You must be a white person who has never had to fear for his life or been rousted by the cops for no reason or denied jobs or housing because of your race. It is BEYOND insulting to suggest that black Americans who experienced discrimination for so many years are dishonorable for having any residual well-earned resentment about the way people of their race have been treated in our country for HUNDREDS of years. You don’t get over that with a little improvement in 20-30 years. Are you freaking kidding me with that????? Please tell me that is not what you are trying to imply.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM

He did no such thing. Here’s the article, please point out where he compared Republicans to the KKK (and btw, there was already a story on Aaron’s quote, it doesn’t need to be reposted here again)

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I agree that no direct comparison was made. If you can read, you can see that clear as day. HOWEVER, can you not see how people would easily derive that comparison based on the preceding comments? Takes a shot at Republicans saying they hinder BO and within the same breathe says racists traded in hoods for ties. I don’t necessarily think that was his intention (although it’s anybody’s guess) but within the context I can see how such a conclusion can be derived from some, and not by others.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I could make an argument that it’s true. There’s a subset of the Republican party doing everything possible to make it harder for minorities to perform their constitutionally protected rights (while holding gun rights sacred, but I digress). There’s a subset of the Republican Party that wanted an investigation opened into whether President Obama was a citizen of this country. There’s a subset of the Republican Party that thinks people who feel that African Americans had it better during slavery should be applauded, and brought to the State of the Union address. There’s a subset of the Republican Party that thinks the Reagan “welfare queen” is a real person, that people on welfare are drug addicts, think stop-and-frisk is a legitimate police tactic, etc.

• uwsptke - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Eutaw, that’s exactly what I was thinking. I hadn’t really taken a look at the comments in full until now since I just figured people were blowing things out of proportion as usual, but given that context, it isn’t a stretch at all to make that conclusion. He mentions no other group that you would associate with “neckties and starched shirts”.

• scastro87 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Um, the Welfare Queen WAS a real person. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/12/linda_taylor_welfare_queen_ronald_reagan_made_her_a_notorious_american_villain.html

• jrob23 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

don’t be a bigger tool than we already think you are. It’s clearly implied. If you can’t deduce that from what he said you lack even more intelligence than I originally feared

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Chruch- I won’t disagree. I’d have be a stubborn ass to disagree and say no such sect of the party exists. It does. I for one hate that because (as mentioned above) Republicans get a stigma attached the them simply because of what a small portion of the party believes. They give all Republicans a bad name. And the same can be said for the Democratic party in the eyes of Republicans. And unfortunately the masses fall victim to playing off of generalizations and assume the worst out of the other party and feed off of it instead of focusing on the issues at hand…

But I digress because my education in politics is shaky at best. My main point was that I feel like Aaron’s statement can be taken either way, and although I 100% do NOT agree with the letters being sent his way? I’m not shocked in the least.

Folks do you see this?! Church and I are having an adult conversation and respecting each others opinions while still standing our ground. This is how politicians discuss matters too, right?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Please don’t do this (the bolded part). Just because Reps doing something Dems don’t like, and Dems* do something Reps don’t like, doesn’t mean that they are equal in the wrongness. Like the Asimov quote says:

“When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.”

*there are plenty of things I can point out that the dems do wrong; however, I don’t feel any of them equate to the obvious racial biases in the latest voting rights issues facing minorities, or any of the other issues I listed above.

• stevejohnson38 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM

“I could make an argument that it’s true. There’s a subset of the Republican party doing everything possible to make it harder for minorities to perform their constitutionally protected rights (while holding gun rights sacred, but I digress).”

Sorry, but your denial over voter fraud and it’s importance in electing Democrats made me laugh.

“There’s a subset of the Republican Party that wanted an investigation opened into whether President Obama was a citizen of this country.”

Yes, and I personally thought it was stupid. It should be noted that a subset of the Democratic Party wanted the same for McCain. Had McCain won the presidency, the mantra might have been just as loud

” There’s a subset of the Republican Party that thinks people who feel that African Americans had it better during slavery should be applauded, and brought to the State of the Union address.”

This is just idiotic, by ‘subset’ I’m guessing you’re talking about a handful of guys that recieve heavy rotation of attention in the vapid left-wing MSNBC/Atlantic/Slate/ThinkProgress circles?

“There’s a subset of the Republican Party that thinks the Reagan “welfare queen” is a real person”

She was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Taylor

“that people on welfare are drug addicts”

Many are, just not so many as is widely believed. Those that are present a difficult moral dillemma.

“think stop-and-frisk is a legitimate police tactic, etc.”

Um, you understand that the recent stop and frisk difficulties are happening in DFL controlled cities with DFL leadership, right?

“I’m not accusing all of them, nor was Aaron. But are we really going to argue whether he has a point or not?”

See the above as to why your points fail. Aaron’s ‘points’ seem to be unaware of how bad President Obama’s predecessor had it with his political opposition. And sorry, even if he may have ‘clarified’ himself, the way he mentioned the GOP in relation to racism was transparently Freudian. While I appreciate the fact that he achieved landmarks and recieved threats during a time when racial hatred was more socially acceptable, what he said is simply not helping either.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM

It’s done, see the name change.

And this subset existed for how long exactly? I think most people realized it was a joke with McCain. You don’t think it was a joke regarding Obama do you? How many cities threatened to keep McCain off the ballot like the one in Arizona did with Obama (threatened)?

She was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Taylor

Apologies on that, I wanted to say that think the welfare queen is endemic to welfare, and not just a one off. I screwed up. It’s what I get for not double checking my work.

“that people on welfare are drug addicts”

No, they aren’t. Multiple states have shown that:

FL – 108 out of 4.086 tested, 2.6% used narcotics
        UT – 2.6 tested failed
        AZ – [this is my favorite] 1 person out of 87,000 tested failed

“think stop-and-frisk is a legitimate police tactic, etc.”

Quoting again, for the bolded part:

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

“Just because Reps doing something Dems don’t like, and Dems* do something Reps don’t like, doesn’t mean that they are equal in the wrongness.”

Never said they were, just making note that both parties have some nut jobs that give the other fodder, and generally speaking, the public feeds off of these things and use it as a podium, despite the actual degree of knowledge he/she may have on the subject at hand. Would it be fair to see that in recent years the Republicans win the battle of the dunce cap? Yup. I’ll even admit that. But I think it would be foolish to assume the Dems come out squeaky clean (not saying you made that call). Grey area aside, there’s enough black and white there to point out some poor decisions/statements/actions by both parties over the years.

Again, my politics are shaky at best. I know enough to say that I am educated and can vote with confidence. I know I am beyond the degenerates who promote ass backwards views such as racism or sexism, and I tout my forward thinking as on par for where society should be. BUT I also realize that there are some people you are never going to convince to change their views, and that my best bet is to do my part to make the world my kids grow up in a better one than what I had, and hope that as a whole society moves that way. I think Hank hinted at that somewhere in that mess and I can dig it. But I think the best way to do that is to simply say so. Cut it at “We’re making progress and I hope we keep heading in that direction, only at a quicker pace. Whatever we can do to make it happen, we should be doing.” Keep the parties out of it. Keep the hoods out of it. Keep everybody happy instead of flaring up an entire party and socially backwards class of folks and I think THAT would be more effective. But again… hippie. It happens.

• Bob Loblaw - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM

LOL @ church for comparing Democrats to being those who thought the world was round and Republicans to those who thought the world was flat. I love ya Church, but that is just sheer biased idiocy.

If you want to say that you think Democrats have better policies, then that’s fine. We can agree to disagree. But show me where Republicans, the party of Lincoln, are the racists while Democrats, ya know, the party of Senator KKK Byrd and the honorable George Wallace LOL, have had no racism in their history.

As I said in a previous post somewhere else…Democrats, Republicans, Whites, Blacks…there are racists in all of those groups.

Aaron was wrong to compare, implicitly or however, that Republicans are racist. He should have apologized to those of us Republicans who worship the man, not because of the color of his skin but because he was a great ballplayer. Instead, he decided to bring up Obama and his fight against Republicans…both Black and White and Red and Purple and Blue and Orange and Green…and imply we are racially motivated. It’s his right to do so, and he’s been through a lot in his lifetime. But that doesn’t make him right on this issue.

Not one bit.

• stevejohnson38 - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

[quote]I’m not sure what you are referring to here. Are you saying that there are Reps that those sites refer to that prove my point?”[/quote]

Well played verbally, but it sidesteps the issue. Let me put it this way: who exactly is saying the africans had it better under slavery? how many do they number? if they don’t number many, how do you justify bringing it up?

[quote]Did you know the human head weighs 8 lbs? Both are just as relevant to my point.[/quote]

Don’t be so obtuse. Please explain to me that if ‘stop and frisk’ is an ideal so especially belonging to Republicans why does it occur so often under democratic leadership?

[quote]Quoting again, for the bolded part:

when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.”[/quote]

So in otherwords Hank Aaron believes that the severity of the political opposition is somehow special under Obama, I state that it isn’t, and then you channel an Asimov red herring.

huh?

• raysfan1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:39 PM

You not only did not include the quote yourself, to which Craig supplied the link, you also misrepresented it.

Here’s one of the next things Bob Nightengale wrote in the article: “Never in our 50-minute conversation did Aaron suggest anyone critical of President Obama is racist. Never did he compare the Republican Party to the Klu Klux Klan.”

Do you see that word “never?” That means he did not make the comparison of which you just accused him.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM

So what? The statement obviously was making the innuendo that opposing President Obama was intrinsically racist. Nightingale is denying what is in print! If that wasn’t Aaron’s intent, what was Obama’s relations with Republicans doing in the quote at all?

Hank is welcome to his own biases, but to deny that his clear meaning was that the political opposition to the “black President” was racism of a more genteel sort is pure dishonest spin.

Meanwhile, what does one piece of mail from a moron prove? In 1970, Aaron got floods of hate mail. THAT was significant. As for someone calling Aaron “racist scum”—that’s harsh and uncivil, but is his quote race-baiting? It sure is. Nightingale’s piece was muckraking garbage, and Craig’s wasn’t much better. One letter–two?—five? justifies that headline? Come on.

• raysfan1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

The commenter to whom I replied stated that Aaron compared the GOP to the KKK when in fact he did not. That is the point at which he misrepresented Aaron’s statement and thus prompted my reply.

As for the number of messages the Braves/Aaron has received, the article states it’s in the hundreds. It does not state how many are such overtly vile, racist statements such as the one quoted. Any is too many.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM

“Any is too many.”

I agree any is too many (and those who say otherwise have some underlying issues), BUT… are you shocked? If I said “Any hate mail is shocking and surprising,” would you call me a fool? All I’m driving at is that regardless of the fact that the masses (myself included) think that receiving racist mail is just bogus, I think the 2 major points that stand are:

1. It’s expected given that to some extent, racism still exists
        2. Hank’s comments may not seem baiting to you, but to somebody who already has a racial bias? That was essentially asking for trouble.

• raysfan1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Eutaw,
        This thread has gotten kind of out of hand to the point I think it could be real easy to mistake who is replying to whom. Thus, let me say none of my comments were directed at you. My first comment above was in reply to “brandotho.”

In reply to you now, though:
        1) No, I’m not surprised by what has happened. I stated my self (next comment thread down) earlier that of course racism exists. The hateful form of racism as exemplified in the story above is borne of ignorance. It will exist as long as ignorance does.
        2) I made no comment on whether Aaron’s quote was race baiting. I can see where it can be taken that way. However, I think it is also true that people in general should be a bit more thick-skinned and bear Aaron’s background in mind when assessing his comments. Speaking as a Caucasian (mostly) and republican, I don’t think it helps our cause to respond angrily to statement like those Aaron made.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Yeah, and he didn’t even have to name guys like David Duke or Ken Cucchinelli, as if Republican efforts to subvert voting rights in the south and midwest weren’t racially motivated, right? Let’s make sure as few o’ them brown skins and black skins kin vote cause they vote Democrat. Please. Hank hit the nail on the head, and more power to him.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Really, what utter crap. And David Duke? Seriously? Why don’t you cite Simon Legree and Bill Connor? They’re about as relevant to the post as David Duke. Or, for that matter, Cucchinelli, who is a right wing nut to be sure, but no racist.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Simon Legree and Bull Connor are, respectively, a century and a half and fifty years past. David Duke is still very much with us now. So is the uniquely Republican war on voting rights. Sorry such minor distinctions evade you.

• Tim's Neighbor - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

“but comparing the Republican Party to the Ku Klux Klan was very unwise on his part.”

Yep. As a black man in this country, he should know his place and keep his mouth shut when it comes to opinions and politics, right? “Just go play ball and be agreeable, boy. You step outta line, boy, you’re gon hear it.”

Is that the gist you’re going for?

• brandotho - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

This is the type of idiocy that is the epitome of the perception of racism. Nobody says Aaron can’t have his opinion. People just think it’s wrong and utterly moronic. People like you often try to claim there is racism where there isn’t, and it certainly makes things more tense. It’s just like Phil Robertson. Nobody is trying to silence him, but he is fair game for ridicule for his foolish comments

• Tim's Neighbor - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Why was it unwise for Mr. Aaron to do so? Why is it unwise for him to share his opinion? Because people might disagree? F that. This was a dumb thing to say and insinuated Mr. Aaron was out of line.

4. raysfan1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Sadly, no surprise. Too many stupid people in the world to be able to eliminate racism.

5. fantom21 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Racism is definitely passed down like precious heirlooms to the next generation. Unfortunately, it’s up to the person to go against his family beliefs and realize that we are in 2014.

• 18thstreet - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

That’s not true. People can reject views of their parents and learn things on their own. We are not destined to believe the same things our parents believed about race or anything else.

• fantom21 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Yeah those are the ones that are progressing as human beings. But what about the malleable boy who looks up to his role model and imitates everything they say or do. Once that kid grows up and is able to form his own opinion, his “opinion” most likely would be the same as the person who he looked up to.

6. chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Craig loves to post stuff like this.

7. thebadguyswon - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM

It’s disgustinging what is being sent to Aaron.

But his comments were totally uncalled for. He did not need to inject politics into at all. And he did anyway since he had a pulpit from the anniversary of the home run record.

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Exactly. When I read his initial comments last week about racists wearing ties and button shirts I cringed. Painting with a broad brush like that is never a good idea. I like Hank, he’s a great man, has done so much good in his life outside of baseball. But he is not aging well.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM

So are you arguing that there aren’t racists in middle/upper class society? That it’s only southern rednecks?

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Nope, but his statement is accusatory as if many/all in this demographic are racist. And that’s wrong. Like if I’m referring to south Atlanta as being full of thugs and criminals. Do they exist there? Absolutely. Is everyone down there a thug/criminal? Of course not.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I agree, but he never said that all Republicans are racist. However, as a collective group, they aren’t doing a good job distancing themselves from the ones showing highly racist tendencies. If it’s guilt by association, maybe Republicans need to accept they are partly to blame for that.

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Come on church…he said “all of the Republicans”. It’s a bad statement. Really no defending it.

• skids003 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

You can’t convince the PC Police. As his name says, he is always offended by something.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM

The homerun record was DEFINED by the racism of the time. Aaron had death threats against himself and his family at the time. That record was coloured in every way by the racist behaviour of those who didn’t want to see a black man break Ruth’s record. He was asked if the racism of the time has changed any in these more enlightened times. He gave his answer. And then the crapstorm you see being played out now was unleashed. If he was factually wrong about how the racists have just hidden themselves better you couldn’t tell from the backlash here.

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM

There is racism here? I don’t see anyone condoning what these losers are doing in response to Aaron’s statements. Not a single one. But to point out that Aaron’s initial quotes weren’t themselves prejudicial and wrong is not racist. What would happen if I made a statement about “the hood” and “all the thugs that live there”. That would be wrong. That’s essentially what Aaron did with his “necktie and starched shirts” comment. It’s never a good idea to insult groups of people like that. No matter who is doing it.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Sure. Pretend I’m referring to the blog. You know full well I mean the letters CURRENTLY making their way to the Braves FO.

Playing dumb and staying as literal as possible is the way of your kind. Whatever. In any case, this is your problem, not mine. People like me only have to live daily with what Aaron’s talking about. People like you can pretend it doesn’t happen because not a bit of it ever happens to you in any meaningful way at all.

buh-bye

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Well you did say “you couldn’t tell from the backlash **here**.” Maybe you should read your own rubbish before claiming to be misquoted.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Except that his comments were also perfectly accurate, and were definitely called for when he was ASKED DIRECTLY about the current state of race in America.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Oh, sure he did.

Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson, Harry Belafonte, not to mention jerks like Bill Maher, have made it the official spin of the Obama Administration apologists. So much for trying to nurture a post-racial society. Race-baiting is too useful a way to dodge accountability, and Hank is just reading the talking points. It’s pretty cynical, and it would nice to keep it from bleeding into the sports pages. I don’t see why a couple of racist responses to a gratuitous political statement by Henry is a sports story. Maybe Craig will elucidate.

8. bluesoxbaseball - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM

USA Today should release Edward’s e-mail address

• beavertonsteve - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Is that you Spike?

9. chacochicken - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Say that racists are out there and they break their necks to prove it. I’m not sure how confirming it will work to change Hank’s mind.

• fantom21 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM

No reason to fight fire with fire. Based on what he said, I’m willing to bet his hate for African Americans would grow once he sees all the opposition to his bigotry.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

This is ONE GUY!!! What’s the matter with you? Who cares about him? If one guy wrote that Aaron was Queen of Rumania, would that be newsworthy? Or worth this thread?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM

It’s more than one guy genius:

The Braves have been besieged by hundreds of letters, e-mails and phone calls deriding Aaron for his comments made to USA TODAY Sports.

Marion calls Aaron a “racist scumbag.” Ronald won’t attend another Braves’ game until Aaron is fired. Mark calls Aaron a “classless,racist.” David says that he will burn Aaron’s I Had A Hammer autobiography.

• natstowngreg - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM

True, though I don’t think they’re trying to change Aaron’s mind.

• fantom21 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I meant to reply to bluesoxbaseball

10. sfm073 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM

OMG people are being racist and ignorant through anonymity what a shocker!!!!

11. natstowngreg - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Today is the 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson’s first Major League game. Much has improved since then. Much improvement remains. We commemorate Jackie Robinson (and Roberto Clemente, the first black Latino star) to remind ourselves of this.

Hank Aaron has given us a further reminder of what remains.

• bdunker - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Jeez, now black America is claiming Roberto Clemente as being one of their own.

12. pilonflats - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM

…trolling…trolling…trolling…

• pilonflats - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM

…RAWHIDE!!!

13. beavertonsteve - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM

It appears Aaron is wearing a necktie and a starched shirt in the picture above.

14. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Even the comments on here are quite telling. It seems Hank is being viewed like the rape victim who dared leave the house in a skirt. Hank pointing out the obvious does not mean he deserves, or should expect, a barrage of racist hate-mail.

Prominent members of the party he criticized have publicly stated that “inner city men” are lazy, or that Latino teens all have “calves the size of cantaloupes” from running drugs across the border. With little or no criticism from their own party. They have worked diligently rearrange voting districts and to create obstacles to impede the very ability to vote for many minority Americans.

But sure, let’s get mad at Hank for pointing it out.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Eff off CC. Enough of the voter rights BS to. Plus, there are just as many ignorant black racists out there also. And it doesn’t have a thing to do with politics. Maybe we should also talk about all the black on black crime? But no, only when someone who is not a black person does something to a black person do you get all up in arms and start playing the race card.

I’m a huge Hank fan and maybe people are reading his statements differently, but quit it with the race card and blaming crap on Republicans.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Of course there are black racists. Every demographic has its bad apples. There is very little institutionalized anti-white policy built into laws passed by mostly white lawmakers. It seems in recent years some members of one political party have studied the voting habits of minorities in the US and essentially tried to create roadblocks to each and every one. This is a real thing that people should talk about until it is corrected. Just look at the number of cases of voter fraud (near zero) vs. the number of people now facing impediments to their ability to vote.

And while I appreciate your offer to Eff me, I must respectfully decline. I don’t screw the small minded.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Enough of the voter rights BS to.

You might be a racist if you think laws designed to disproportionately hurt minorities aren’t racist…

Plus, there are just as many ignorant black racists out there also.

Impossible. Per the 2010 census 72% of all people living in the US identified as white vs 13% as African American/Black. The hard numbers are 223.6M to 38.9M.

Maybe we should also talk about all the black on black crime?

Sure, let’s have an intelligent conversation on it (which we won’t, but I’m a sucker for punishment). What do you want to discuss? The crippling poverty? The lack of upward social/economic mobility? Lack of education/educational opportunities? Where should we begin?

• Wesley Clark - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Not even sure where to begin. Everything that CC said actually, you know, happened. The Republican party has (in this election cycle) canidates for national office that have spoken at Pro White rallies. Ask Rand Paul about the voing rights act. You can’t just click your heels and close your eyes and dream away actual reality.

• scastro87 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Sabathia- Why don’t you post Paul Ryan’s full quote, not your paraphrasing of it and then compare it to what Obama has himself said about changing culture.

Church-
        “Laws Designed to hurt minorities”? I know that’s what you believe, but has a Republican ever said that?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM

TX implemented a voting ID law that the VRA declared unconstitutional, the day after section 4(B) was struck down. NC waited, I think, two weeks to introduce their new voting rights law that’s still being challenged in the courts, post ’14 election though. Redistricting in TX no longer needs to be approved either, due to section 4(B).

Shortening early voting periods, removing or lessening time periods for weekend voting, eliminating college voter registrations, etc adversely affect minorities than white people.

• tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I think you’re post is misleading. When Rep. King made the cantaloupe comment, he was publicly castized by the Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner, who called his comments hateful and ignorant. Paul Ryan and Republican Idaho Representative Raul Labrador also criticized him.

Paul Ryan claims that he was not trying to reference race with his “inner city men” comment. It’s up to the individual to decide if they believe that or not.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Sure, Boehner spoke a bit about the comments, but did not suggest King could be an inappropriate choice to sit on the subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security. In other words, they made a little pageant out of denouncing his comments, King doubled down on his comments, and nobody did anything by way of any sort of actual reprimand.

And yes, there are a few ways one could interpret Paul Ryan’s words. But only one makes sense.

These are just a couple of examples. If one looks at the way minorities suffer disproportionately under legislation proposed by many high-ranking members of the GOP, one can either conclude that it is intentional or \ the party is iwillfully ignorant.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Oh, please. You can cherrypick idiotic comments from individual elected officials all day, and they still aren’t representative of either party. Aaron’s not involved in politics; he has no comprehension of how Congressional relations and the white House work. His opinion has no more validity or authority than the guy at the 7-11, and its accuracy is only “obvious” to someone, like you, operating under confirmation bias. It was an irresponsible, poorly thought out opinion, he deserves to be criticized for it, and he should keep out of fields he doesn’t understand.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

He should absolutely be challenged on the details of his statement. I think there should be more conversations of that kind. There seem to be some people implying that he (a) brought racists attacks on himself for making these comments and (b) that the comments have no basis in reality other than Aaron’s own racism.

I am not saying that all Republicans are racist, but there are certainly some in the Republican party who go out of their way to endorse positions and policies that have a disproportionately negative effect on minority groups. It is a real thing and Aaron is well within his proper place in society to mention it when asked directly about race in America.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Why, because Aaron is black? Is that why he can’t comprehend how Congress works?

• stevejohnson38 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM

“Prominent members of the party he criticized have publicly stated that “inner city men” are lazy, ” More prominent people in the Democratic party have had similar things to say, but I ‘guess you were unaware of that.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM

That could be part of the conversation as well. I am not saying that I am right, or that I alone am right. I am merely saying that Hank raises some valid points worth of discussion and further thought. And that he certainly isn’t “asking for” hate mail by pointing out the fact that some institutionalized racism still exists.

15. phillysports1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I agree

16. tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

For the world’s sake, I hope that Edward guy is sterile.

17. babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Aww, that’s cute. Craig is patting himself on the back again for being against racism… while being a fan of a team with racist practices.

• psukardi - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Apparently the Tomahawk Chop isn’t racist. It’s just a part of the culture celebrating the tribes. Or so you would believe if you read what Craig says. But since he carries the water for the Braves and his fandom has him blinded, he’ll never speak against that horrible gesture.

• raysfan1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I’d agree with you if you were right, but you aren’t…

• Ari Collins - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Umm. Guys. Are you kidding me? Craig is one of the biggest critics of the Braves and Indians’ racist imagery around.

18. bdunker - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Crap like this turns people racist. People are getting sick of this bs. Black society has it much better than any other race in America.
    Good thing there are no black racist. Like LaBron James. He’s not a racist is he? Reggie Jackson? Can give you a whole list of black racists.
    Calcaterra would never try to expose black racism. Its not on the liberal agenda.
    Just another bunch of liberal idiots playing the well overused race card.
    But, of course, I’m just another racist for stating my views.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Perhaps black people have more leeway with what they can say in public. I am sure they would trade that perk, however, for the access to better education, high-paying jobs, unencumbered voting, freedom from illegal search and seizure and other perks enjoyed by white America.

• peymax1693 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Yes, you are.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Black society has it much better than any other race in America.

Jesus christ on a crutch, comment of the year here people. Black people have it better than white people in America. Time to shut it down…

Also how the F is Lebron racist?

• peymax1693 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I was going to ask the same question, but then I realized any response by bdunker would piss me off so I left it alone.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

See now this is exactly what I’m talking about. I refuse to associate myself with a party because of the stigma that comes with it. Unfortunately I cannot refuse to associate myself with a race and I’m stuck with schmucks like this. All I ask is this- Church posted the population stats earlier in this thread- keep that in mind. We may have more radicals, but the percentage of radicals is not THAT high. At least I’d like to think so given the people I know and the area that I live in doesn’t seem to breed this sort of backwards thinking (no, I do NOT see this in the Baltimore area at all).

• aceshigh11 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM

“Black society has it much better than any other race in America.”

You’ve just proven you’re unfit for polite society. Go crawl back under your rock, you pathetic excuse for an American.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

“Black society has it much better than any other race in America.”

How much crack are you smoking?

19. dcgonzfr - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Racism exist within all walks of life. I don’t ever see it changing. Sure it’s not as blatant as in Mr. Aaron’s time but it’s all around us. Respect of other races & cultures should be something we should all strive for. Racism will never go away.

20. psukardi - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I wonder if Aaron has any neckties or starched shirts in his closet? Seems to be a very poor choice of words on his part.

21. peymax1693 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

To my fellow white people:

(1) Henry Aaron’s statements were not racist; and
    (2) you are not the victims here.

Stop listening to Rush Limbaugh.

• tbird05 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Dude, I get that some people listen to Rush Limbaugh and some even develop distorted views as a result, but this sort of wholesale condemnation is the exact reason Hank and his new admirer are making stupid blanket statements.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

THANK YOU!! Sweeping generalizations only further create barriers. Making statements like that have just as much of a negative effect on political and racial disparity as do making racist statements (to a certain degree. Need the disclaimer for CYA purposes).

22. hateonlyhatred - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Ok great. You take the worst moron’s email and put it out there like everyone is writing such vile crap. Shame on you Craig Calcaterra for trying to fan the flames rather than point out that this is an isolated incident. Are there racists out there? YES. Did Hank Aaron’s comments as he spoke them speak the truth or ring hollow though?

Aaron’s comments were dangerous and disingenuous. When he states that people who hate Obama are racist he is no better than a racist. I hate Obama. I’m not racist. I hate the man’s Socialist/Marxist policies. I’m like most people who hate Obama. The amount of melanin in one’s skin does not matter to me, but ideals and integrity matter a lot.

Aaron comes off as a bitter old man who can’t let go of the past even though he’s lived a life greater than most. This guy gets more adulation in a day than most get in a lifetime. He’s had a great life and he needs to get rid of his bitterness because frankly, it is off putting to most of us who used to love the guy.

• tbird05 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I agree with 99% of your post. The only part of it I don’t agree with is the last sentence. I appreciate that Hank doesn’t change who he is or how he believes just so people can appreciate him more. Or, just tone it done in public. He has always been like this. Love it or hate it. Frankly, I try to appreciate his achievements, without looking at his character or opinions. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t…but that isn’t his problem.

• bdunker - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Calcaterra would like you to believe that those few contemptible fools represent white America as a whole.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

As a white male, I ask you kindly not to use the phrase white America. It’s just America.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM

This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US department of Energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the national weather service of the national oceanographic and atmospheric administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the national aeronautics and space administration. I watched this while eating my breakfast of US department of agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the food and drug administration.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the national institute of standards and technology and the US naval observatory, I get into my national highway traffic safety administration approved automobile and set out to work on the roads built by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the environmental protection agency, using legal tender issued by the federal reserve bank. On the way out the door, I deposit any mail I have to be sent out via the US postal service and drop the kids off at the public school.

After work, I drive my NHTSA car back home on the DOT roads, to house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal’s inspection, and which as not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then log on to the internet which was developed by the defense advanced research projects administration and post on freerepublic.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the gov’t can’t do anything right.

h/t 4chan

• stevejohnson38 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Well yes, there are a lot of things Government can do well. However, I notice you ideologically glanced over that which it does terribly from. Gov works for infrastructure, but medicine has been far more problematic, and it’s not like our medical industry isn’t heavily socialized already.

Oh, and you are completely wrong about the Internet. ARPANET was simply not the same thing.

You are ignoring the self-sustainability of the US Postal Service.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You are ignoring the self-sustainability of the US Postal Service.

The same US Postal Service that is going bankrupt? And this is a copy/paste from 4chan, I’m not making this arguments. However to say that it’s Obama’s socialist policies when every single one of these predates him, is a bit odd, don’t you think?

• Kevin S. - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM

The USPS is going bankrupt because the Republican Congress in during the Bush years passed a bill requiring it to pre-fund retiree health benefits 75 years out in ten years. This is a standard no public or private company is held to. The Post Office was deliberately crippled because Republicans couldn’t stand the thought of a self-sustaining public service and needed to mortally wound it to have an excuse to privatize it.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM

@churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged: So you are one of those people who like regulation nation. I can’t argue with a person who likes to be led around by the government. Most of these regulations you talk about go against the idea of freedom. There are 51 regulations to every law that Congress passes. If you call that freedom, God bless you, because ignorance is certainly bliss.

Obama is a Socialist/Marxist leaning scumbag who says the Constitution, WHICH HE IS SWORN TO UPHOLD, gets in his way of doing the things he’d actually like to do. Anyone who voted for Obama once is a fool and anybody who voted for him twice is a blithering idiot. This guy makes Nixon look like a Boy Scout. The insanity of liberalism must be cured one day or America will cease to exist.

• hateonlyhatred - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

@churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged: You copied someone’s post? You can’t think for yourself? I’ve seen a lot of your posts and you come off as sort of a bully. Are those copied too? Or are you a bully all by yourself?

• aceshigh11 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM

You’re a grotesquely uneducated individual. You can’t even define socialism and Marxism, nor point to any policy of Obama’s policies that fit those ideologies.

Fact: Obama is more conservative than any President we had from FDR to Nixon.

• skids003 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Unbelievable, keep drinking that koolaid.

• brandotho - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Conservative in WHAT sense?

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Bingo.

23. tbird05 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Called it. Just in case anyone needs the lottery numbers.

Previous post during the A-Rod post:

“Craig, I just saw something on CBS sports that is right up your alley. The Braves are getting hateful emails from a few people regarding Hank Aaron’s comments from his celebratory service last week.

Just a quick reminder, he made some pretty classless comments about a particular political party, and now some classless people are saying hateful things. Go jump on it and tell everyone how it is a one-sided issue.”

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

That about sums it up. But I have to say based on the hysterical response here, Craig knows his audience, but it’s disillusioning.

24. merrhod - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Unfortunately, racism is here to stay. As long as it is being passed down, it will remain. Very, very sad!!!

25. Ari Collins - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Aaron was CLEARLY not saying that all Republicans are racist. What he’s explicitly saying is that racists don’t wear hoods anymore, they look just like you and I, which makes them, in most ways, more dangerous.

As to what he’s IMPLYING about Republicans, the worst thing you could say he’s implying is that lots of the middle-class not-hood-wearing racists are Republicans. And that’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Not to say all Republicans are racist. But the closet racists aren’t joining the Democrats here, folks.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Never mind Ari. You are wasting e-ink. People see what they want to see. Best thing is to know that not everyone drinks the Coolaid but the chances of convincing anyone differently than what they already believe are slim and none. Good to know you are still out there, though.

• Ari Collins - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Hey Cur! Yeah, I’m almost completely read-only here on the blog these days, but it’s still my main source of baseball news and commentary. Sometimes I even delve into the comments, but usually try not to give in to respond.

Couldn’t help myself today, though.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Play nice with the dolts, Ari.
        Cheers.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM

And see cur made the point I keep trying to make here:

“People see what they want to see.”

And that’s all there is to say! People spend their lives devoted to a party/lifestyle/path that they have chosen or have followed based on their environment growing up and people want to simply attack either hoping they’ll somehow verbally smack some perspective into them or simply prove the age old theory of “I’m right and you’re wrong.” It’s not all black and white (no pun intended…until after I typed it). Is racism wrong? Yerp! Does it exist? Double yerp! Will it continue to do so? Without a doubt. And you’d be foolish to expect otherwise. But what is more likely to be effective- shoving your opinion down somebody’s throat (or eyes in this instance) or living a life that does not promote racism and instead works towards equality? Hell, I don’t even care if your version of working towards equality is simply not giving a damn what color your friends are and distancing yourself from those who do. It’s a positive effect that is more likely to influence others than telling them they are wrong and you are right. When has that EVER worked? That’s the kindergarten version of a logical argument.

Maybe it’s just the hippie mentality in me but yanno… Opinions are like a-holes. Everybody has one.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I’m sorry to tell you this, but you can’t read. Why was the Obama reference in the quote at all, except to suggest that Republican opposition to his policies was based on racism?

• Ari Collins - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Some Republican opposition to his policies is based on racism.

If you are a Republican, you are not necessarily racist. And Aaron certainly did not equate “all republicans” with “all racists”. But there’s certainly a lot of opposition to Obama among Republican voters that’s firmly, firmly planted in racism.

As to the politicians themselves, I think the best you can say about Republican politicians is that they are not personally racist, but are happy to use the racist anger of a portion of the declining white majority to enact the policies they, their constituency, and their donors want, while knowing that those policies disproportionately harm minorities, and also doing their best to disenfranchise minority voters who share different opinions. But if the best you can say is that they are aware that their actions are racist but that their hearts are color-blind, well… that’s not so great either.

A

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3624)