Apr 15, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
I really don’t mean to dish it out too much to Phillies fans today. I just take things as they come. Like this stuff from last night:
The Phanavision has a message that reads “Make Some Noise. Get Loud.” Remember when Cliff Lee said Philly didn’t need those?
— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) April 15, 2014
Cliff Lee gave his introductory news conference with the Phillies earlier this afternoon (see the video below). There were a few notable quotes from Lee. One was about how Philly fans are great because “they don’t need a teleprompter to tell them too cheer.”
From what I’m told, the Phillies have always had “let’s make noise!” messages on their scoreboard, actually. But I also remember that back in the salad days of the four aces that Phillies fans fancied themselves a different, more loyal, more passionate and rarer breed than anyone else and accepted those comments from Lee uncritically and, in many cases, as an earned compliment.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29