Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado ran sprints yesterday for the first time since October knee surgery, going 90 feet six times.
Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that the next step will be sprinting 180 feet, followed by actually running the bases and making sharp turns on the surgically repaired left knee.
Machado underwent surgery six months ago, putting a premature and sad end to a breakout season at age 20, and there’s no official timetable yet for his return. Once he’s cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment a 20-day clock will start ticking, although the Orioles would be free to call him up at any time.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)