Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado ran sprints yesterday for the first time since October knee surgery, going 90 feet six times.
Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that the next step will be sprinting 180 feet, followed by actually running the bases and making sharp turns on the surgically repaired left knee.
Machado underwent surgery six months ago, putting a premature and sad end to a breakout season at age 20, and there’s no official timetable yet for his return. Once he’s cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment a 20-day clock will start ticking, although the Orioles would be free to call him up at any time.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)