Apr 15, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Every year lots of people act like spring training numbers mean something and every year they don’t. I guess there’s really no way of avoiding it, since everyone is so excited to have any kind of baseball to watch again after a long winter that they latch onto some random 20-game sample against varying degrees of competition.
Anyway, no one has exhibited the lack of spring training significance more than Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas.
He was on fire all spring, hitting .429 with four homers, seven doubles, more walks (11) than strikeouts (8), and a 1.290 OPS in 24 games. And now that the games actually count, Moustakas has hit .111 with zero line drives (yes, zero line drives) in 10 games.
And here’s the thing: It was the exact same story last season. Moustakas hit .444 with 11 total extra-base hits in 22 spring training games … and then hit .195 in April and .171 in May on the way to a horrible season.
I posted this mostly just to say “hey, let’s stop paying attention spring training numbers” rather than to specifically mock Moustakas, although at age 25 and with more than 1,500 very underwhelming plate appearances as a major leaguer the one-time top prospect could be running out of time in Kansas City.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 43
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 24
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)