Rain postpones the Yankees game and their tribute to Nelson Mandela along with it

Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Nelson Mandela

Today is Jackie Robinson Day around Major League Baseball. The Yankees had planned on doing something pretty cool today in honor of another great leader and pioneer: they were going to place a plaque for Nelson Mandela in Monument Park. Unfortunately, steady rain forecast for tonight has postponed the game and the ceremonies, and now both will take place tomorrow.

In town for the festivities: Jackie Robinson’s widow, Rachel Robinson, his daughter Sharon Robinson, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, former New York City Mayor David Dinkins, Rev. Al Sharpton as well as several members of Nelson Mandela’s family, South African officials and figures in Mandela’s foundation.

Now they get a nice honor for Mandela and a twin-bill to boot.

1. big64d - Apr 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Its great to see the Yankees celebrate the life of a known terrorist bomber tonight. I bet their Hitler parade in May and the July Columbine Trench coat give-a-way are just wonderful times too.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM

You couldn’t be a bigger moron if a chunk of shrapnel passed between your brain stem and cerebellum.

• cackalackyank - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Actually I agree OG…except I showed a couple total morons that I know big64d’s comment…and quite frankly they were offended that you grouped them with him.

• themuddychicken - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM

If we’re being technical (which I know is really important in the discussion at hand), they could both also be in April. Hitler’s birth and Columbine both happened on April 20, and Hitler happened to die in an April as well.

I’m a little sad and disturbed that I know these off the top of my head, and now I have images of the news coverage playing in my head, so I’m going to go watch some videos of puppies playing.

2. chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM

The takeaway here is that Mother Nature is clearly a racist.

• southpaw2k - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

At the very least, in favor of apartheid.

• yournuts - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM

No, Al Sharpton is a racist and he is there. I can understand the Yankees honoring Mandela but to let a racist like Al Sharpton in Yankee Stadium is a little over the top for me.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Absolutely agree. Sharpton is a two-bit demagogue and professional racial opportunist. The Borg had no business letting him crash this party.

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Well it is New York. They just elected de Blasio so nothing should surprise you!!

• drewzducks - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Oh wonderful, the anti-Semitic charlatan himself, being invited. No doubt he’ll try to finagle his way into getting his own reserved spot in Monument Park. I’m sure the good people of Crown Heights will be thrilled.

3. Florio_Jr. - Apr 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Wow big64d, I wish I was as cool as you.

• big64d - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Roasted

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Hard to believe you’ve got enough substance to you to burn in the first place.

• Wesley Clark - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM

It’s not about being roasted, burned, flamed or whatever. It is about being a decent human being. Comparing Mandela to Hitler is pretty breathtaking any way you slice it, tongue in cheek or not. History is not black or white; it has a lot of grey area and is really complicated. To claim that Mandela is nothing more than a terrorist bomber is nothing short of oversimplifying a complicated man’s life. Mandela accomplished major, important, things in his life. His legacy is one of helping to end apartheid in South Africa. This, just for the record, is a good thing. I have a hard time believing that in this day and age of instant knowledge a person could be so willfully ignorant.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I don’t have any problem believing that. But beyond ending apartheid, surely one of the most loathsome of all political philosophies and structures in my lifetime – and one which, in terms of its human cost and the philosophy behind it deserves far more richly any comparison to Nazism than anything Mandela ever did – Mandela also brought together two bitterly divided racial groups without war, without bloodshed, and despite a few recalcitrants on both sides, forged a sweeping unanimity of purpose for the whole South African nation. By the end of his life the Boer and Anglo communities were celebrating his contribution to the rebuilding of their nation just as enthusiastically as the black African community. The vast majority of humankind recognizes his accomplishments, even as a few miserable, ideologically constipated buffoons like little64d here disgorge preposterous hyperboles and bitterness. Earth to little64d: you’ve already lost – bigtime.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Only a pea brain right wing bass turd compares Mandela to that POS Adolph.

• nbjays - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Florio, you misspelled “fool”…

• Florio_Jr. - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Foolrio??? I like it.

• nbjays - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM

No, not your name… sheesh. :-)

I was referring to your comment to the idiot big64d…

“Wow big64d, I wish I was as cool as you.”

4. shaggylocks - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Wait, why do the Yankees get the Robinsons? Shouldn’t they be celebrating Jackie Robinson Day with the Dodgers?

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM

All of this is fine, except for the presence of Sharpton. If they wanted a clown, there are any number of them who aren’t doing Chuck E. Cheese birthdays midweek that would have come cheaper.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 16, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Old Gator, for a time I would have agreed with you (I come from the Hudson Valley and Sharpton stirred up a lot of trouble here on false premises.) He has mellowed some over the years, and I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt until he steps on things again.

• Old Gator - Apr 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM

You’re talking about the Tawana Brawley case. Yes, that was an especially noxious little gambit, wasn’t it? Even sucked Bill Cosby in, as I recall. I would like to agree with you except that I don’t believe he’s really changed anything but his tactics. He’s just older now and still casting about for a low-cost, if not free, ride – and if you ask him about Brawley, as someone did not all that long ago, he still maintains that she was telling the truth. Let me hear him admit that she suckered him, and that, even knowing he was suckered, he couldn’t resist the opportunity to exploit the situation – and then, maybe, I’ll cut him a break.

Meanwhile, isn’t the shad season coming up – or did I miss it? Fried shad roe with bacon…mmmmmmmm.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM

The Yanks get them because from 1958 on they were the last remaining MLB team in NY (and anyone paying attention has realized that they continue to be.)

5. therealdave123 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Will Dinkins have everyone wear name tags?

6. autmorsautlibertas - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Monument Park is for Yankees baseball players. Why do the Yankees have to honor a political figure there? George Mason of Virginia was the inspiration behind the Bill of Rights, Madison the brains behind the U.S. Consititution, where is their plaque in Monument Park? What about one for Martin Luther King Jr.? Where is the plaque for Susan B. Anthony? The Yankees are merely pandering to the liberals. Knock it off. Monument Park is for Yankee greats!

• brandotho - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Because Mandela visited the old Stadium after he was released from jail. They also have plaques for the previous three popes (Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI) that visited as well.

• brandotho - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Even though your comment was sarcastic, wanted to clear it up

7. brandotho - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I was supposed to go tonight, but I can’t for the rescheduled game tomorrow. Sharpton and Selig were supposed to be there? That kinda ruins it…..

8. bobwheel - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

As long as people keep legitimizing Sharpton he will continue to crash the party. What a disgrace.

9. chill1184 - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I have a theory; that scumbags like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Pat Buchanan and Frosty Wooldrigde wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for their ideological enemies.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM

You mean if they didn’t exist, we would have to invent them? I dunno – I could always just kick the neighbor’s cat instead.

• cackalackyank - Apr 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM

You mean like God needs the Devil and vice versa?

• chill1184 - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3254)