Shockingly, Bill Plashcke’s take on the L.A. Magazine story about Yasiel Puig misses the point

Apr 15, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Yasiel Puig AP AP

On the one hand, kudos to Bill Plaschke for reading the story about Yasiel Puig from Jesse Katz and L.A. Magazine and acknowledging that maybe there’s a little bit more to Puig than his failure to hit the cutoff man.

On the other hand, it’s interesting that, given all of the harrowing details of Puig’s passage to the United States and the personal threats that he was subjected to along the way, Plaschke makes a point to repeatedly talk about it in terms of how all of that could threaten Dodger Stadium, Dodgers fans and other Dodgers players:

Now that Puig is a multi-millionaire, are the smugglers still involved, and could that involvement one day lead to Dodger Stadium? . . . Could there be revenge involved, and could that one day lead to Dodger Stadium? . . .  Since security issues are best kept secure, the Dodgers are just probably being responsible in not acknowledging what they are doing to protect Puig and everyone — fans and players included — around him . . . One can only hope this season the added security remains, both on the field and in the stands, particularly when Puig is standing alone in right field.

I guess it’s nice that he included threats to Puig himself at the end there. I mean, it’s not all about the danger Plaschke believes Puig represents to law abiding Dodgers fans and teammates.

Of course, more broadly, Plaschke misses the point. While, yes, some danger to Puig is something to be concerned about given what he’s gone through, there was no suggestion in either the L.A. Magazine story or in the history of other Cuban players in the United States that violence and acts of terrorism at the ballpark are a specific concern, let alone any that pose a threat to fans. Rather, it’s about how the player himself had to experience some crazy and scary things and how that both shapes him and shapes others who have to go through that ordeal.

But, of course, to some people, Puig will always be a problem rather than a person, and the basic humanity of the guy at question will be secondary to the dissatisfaction or threat he presents to others, legitimate or otherwise.

1. dexterismyhero - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Will Plaschke get points for that comment on around ATH?

2. chacochicken - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Puig’s “defection” could be a carefully scripted ruse to disguise his true purpose as a communist sleeper agent. After HUAC’s successful exposure of all of those secret pinkos in Hollywood, Puig was sent to the fertile soil of L.A. to turn the Golden State red. He has been joined recently by fellow traveler Alex Guerrero as well. Plaschke is just scratching the surface.

• chacochicken - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Wow, since I love hyperbolic absurdist analogies; Bill Plaschke = Tail Gunner Joe.

• gloccamorra - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

“Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

3. mogogo1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Trolls usually just comment on stories, great to have Plaschke prove that they also sometimes write them.

4. capnsparrow23 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

As a long time Dodger fan I can’t wait for Plaschke to get run out of town! He belongs with Nightengale and Simers. All working for organizations outside of LA. I await his frivolous lawsuit for wrongful termination just like the other 2 bad journalists that thought they were the story and the Dodgers!

5. kingscourt25 - Apr 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Did this idiot just suggest that fans attending games Dodger Stadium aren’t safe because the smugglers could attack at anytime?

• sophiethegreatdane - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Yes because, as I’m sure everyone knows, the absolute best time for a Revenge Sneak Attack is when the target is being watched by 50,000 other people.

• yosoyrorro - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Sounds like something Frank Drebin should investigate…

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Or Enrico Pollazo.

• cur'68 - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Its Plashcke. Of course he did.

• apkyletexas - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:17 PM

The reason Dodger fans aren’t safe at or near the stadium is because of other Dodger fans.

• lanflfan - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

All Philly phans throw batteries at Santa Claus and injured players.

And all New Yorkers are rude.

And everyone living in the south is an ignorant toothless redneck.

I can go on and on, but that’s enough fun with stereotypes for one day. Don’t generalize humans, we are far too weird individually.

• lanflfan - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Yes, he did. Of course, since Yasiel Puig is the first Cuban to ever escape the island, naturally all sorts of underworld scum are looking for him. /sarcasm off

Plashcke is a ducking moron whose sole job is to write yellow journalist articles that throw all sorts of excrement against the wall to see what sticks.

6. chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Puig is not a problem, he is a talented person WITH problems. We’ve seen numerous examples on and off the field. I don’t see why that’s so hard to understand. Demonizing those that tell it like it is does no good.

• sophiethegreatdane - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Exactly what problems does he have that are so far beyond the scale of other folks? We all have problems and things to work on.

I’d take this guy and all if his supposed “problems” on my team any day.

• yahmule - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM

They’re not telling it like it is. They’re mainly ignorant knee-jerk assholes with less to recommend about them as human beings than Puig with all his warts.

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Mattingly is less ignorant on this subject than you or I and he has seen the need to discipline him. I don’t work with too many people that require special handling. No one is saying Puig isn’t an elite talent or that he can’t grow up. But for folks like you to jump all over those that point out the obvious, well I just don’t get that either.

• yahmule - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

If you don’t get what’s wrong with Plashke’s hyperbolic stupidity, I’m sure I can’t explain it to you in this setting.

• chc4 - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I was more responding to Craig’s comment about how Puig is unfairly treated (doesn’t he say that about everyone?) than I was Plaschke’s article. I have no clue what that article is about. It sounds like the rantings of a crazy person.

• ilovegspot - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM

you have to be pretty stupid to comment without reading the content. Ch’s opinion is worthless.

7. psousa1 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM

It is nice to know Boston doesn’t corner the market on pompous and self righteous baseball writers who believe they are the ones people want to see and not some mere ballplayer.

8. kingscourt25 - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

OR perhaps Plaschke should go straight to the source and arrange a group interview with the Zeta leadership in Ciudad Juárez.

• gloccamorra - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Actually, Zeta is just one of the drug gangs in Juarez. It’s kind of a communal battleground for them, and a reason the population of nearby El Paso has doubled in the last 40 years.

9. yahmule - Apr 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM

If anybody thinks Plaschke’s absurdly paranoid revenge fantasies won’t resonate deeply with anybody, allow me to introduce you to the FOX News audience.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Wow, so insightful…

10. shawnuel - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I find it laughable that anyone connected with the Dodgers could find any party more dangerous to players and fans than the fans themselves.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

We find you laughable.

11. peymax1693 - Apr 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM

It’s DBs like Plashcke that make me feel bad for giving Puig a hard time for not hitting the cutoff man.

Puig reminds me of a teammate I had playing high school baseball in Northern New Jersey. He was flat out better than me (and most players in Northern New Jersey) in all 5 facets of the game, but he never listened to our coach. He played right field routinely would overthrow the cutoff man and allow runners to advance because he wanted to show off his arm, he would swing at 3-0 pitches without being given the green light and he would get thrown out trying to stretch singles into doubles.

But what was the most frustrating thing was that our coach was afraid to say anything to this player because his ego was so fragile that the coach was afraid he would lose the player. As a result, the kid never learned to respect the game.

Sorry Yasiel, I am projecting my still unresolved anger at my former teammate at you.

12. mt10425 - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I wonder what those Dodger-smuggler fans had against that Giants fan they beat to a disabling pulp.

• stercuilus65 - Apr 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM

As opposed to the Giant fans who have murdered two people the last decade?

13. flash8910 - Apr 15, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I guess people outside of the LA area may not know, but those of us in LA know. Plashcke has miss the point on pretty much everything he has ever written.

14. 4d3fect - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM

He must have dirt on someone in the organization to keep getting a paycheck. Otherwise, his continued employment by a media company is a complete mystery to me.

15. mt10425 - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Sarcasm is always lost on the stupid but self-important.

16. chuuke - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

“…particularly when Puig is standing alone in right field”

My favorite line

17. jkaflagg - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I KNEW you guys missed TJ !!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester