Apr 15, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
I mentioned this in the recaps, but it’s worth mentioning again. Braves reliever Luis Avilan allowed five runs on four hits and a walk in one inning of work last night, squandering the Braves’ 5-1 lead. And, because he was still the pitcher of record when the Braves put up four runs in the top of the ninth, he was awarded with the win. As Jon Weisman points out, Avilan became the first winning pitcher to allow at least five runs in an inning or less in 80 years.
Once again, here’s his line, alongside those of his teammates:
But hey, that’s how wins work. The only time you’ll ever see someone other than the pitcher of record when the final lead was achieved awarded the win is when the starter doesn’t go five innings, thus allowing the official scorer to award it to the most effective overall reliever. But even then they still usually give it to the guy in Avilan’s shoes. The point was moot last night anyway as Ervin Santana pitched six strong innings.
Just another thing to remember the next time some ignoramus goes on about how important and telling pitcher wins are.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)