Apr 16, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Calhoun tweaked his ankle running to first base on an extra-inning ground out and had to be helped off the field. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he was on crutches after the game, but seemed hopeful that the ankle wasn’t broken.
It’s rough news for the Angels, but also for Calhoun because this was going to be his first extended opportunity in the majors at age 26. He fared well in a 58-game stint with the Angels last season and has a strong minor-league track record, including hitting .318 with 26 homers and 22 steals in 164 games at Triple-A.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)