Apr 16, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Calhoun tweaked his ankle running to first base on an extra-inning ground out and had to be helped off the field. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he was on crutches after the game, but seemed hopeful that the ankle wasn’t broken.
It’s rough news for the Angels, but also for Calhoun because this was going to be his first extended opportunity in the majors at age 26. He fared well in a 58-game stint with the Angels last season and has a strong minor-league track record, including hitting .318 with 26 homers and 22 steals in 164 games at Triple-A.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)