Apr 16, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Calhoun tweaked his ankle running to first base on an extra-inning ground out and had to be helped off the field. Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he was on crutches after the game, but seemed hopeful that the ankle wasn’t broken.
It’s rough news for the Angels, but also for Calhoun because this was going to be his first extended opportunity in the majors at age 26. He fared well in a 58-game stint with the Angels last season and has a strong minor-league track record, including hitting .318 with 26 homers and 22 steals in 164 games at Triple-A.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)