Apr 16, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT
This will bring scoffs because Selig has a history of overstating, understating and generally mischaracterizing things in somewhat humorous ways, but I feel like he’s mostly right here in assessing instant replay:
Selig called the rollout “remarkable” but wouldn’t say whether MLB would make any adjustments during this initial season.
“We’ve had really very little controversy overall,” Selig said Tuesday at the MLB Diversity Business Summit. “Everything in life will have a little glitch here and there where you do something new. And are our guys on top of it? You bet. But I’m saying to you again, you’ll hear about the one or two controversies, but look at all the calls that have been overturned.”
Calls by umpires on the field have been confirmed in 33 of 89 challenges through Monday and overturned in 30. For 25 others, calls stood because of a lack of “clear and convincing” evidence. I feel like 30 overturns in 89 challenges is significant and good. We really are getting more correct calls now than we did a year ago and that is supposed to be the point. And it is quite literally remarkable, to use Selig’s term.
Of course implementation has been clunky, specifically as it relates to managers’ challenges. They shouldn’t be in the business of deciding this stuff. Baseball should be and it should thus be the one initiating reviews. It’s a situation where the back end (the actual review) works well but the front end (starting the review) is lame. The back end is more important so kudos for that going pretty well, but man, fix that front end.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 36
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 75
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)