Apr 16, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly left today’s start against the Brewers after tweaking his hamstring trying to beat out an infield single in the sixth inning.
With his next turn in the rotation in question the Cardinals may have to dip into their impressive pitching depth for a fill-in starter. Carlos Martinez could be shifted from the bullpen, although his arm strength isn’t built up yet and the Cardinals presumably wouldn’t want to disrupt his relief role so quickly after deciding not to use him as a starter.
Left-hander Tyler Lyons is waiting in the wings at Triple-A and actually started today as well, so he’d be on the same schedule as Kelly if needed. Lyons had a 4.75 ERA with nice secondary numbers in 53 innings for the Cardinals last season as a 25-year-old rookie and pitched well at Triple-A too.
Delving even deeper into the minors is another possibility, because the Cardinals have plenty of intriguing young starters at Double-A and Triple-A, but if they feel like Kelly’s injury won’t require more than 1-2 missed starts Lyons would seemingly be the easy pick.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 121
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 64
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)