Apr 16, 2014, 3:34 PM EST
Johnny Cueto didn’t have too much trouble with the Pittsburgh Pirates today. All he did was toss a three-hit shutout while striking out 12 and not walking a soul. He needed 107 pitches so he didn’t get The Maddux, but he probably didn’t sweat too much all the same.
The Pirates beat Cueto convincingly in the NL Wild Card game last fall, but today was a totally different story. In some ways an umpire-assisted story — at least from the Pirates’ perspective — as eight of his 12 strikeouts came on called third strikes. Many Pirates hitters looked back at Triple-A umpire Quinn Wolcott who was working the plate today. That stuff happens sometimes, though. We don’t have robot umps yet, so you sorta have to adjust your approach if you’re not getting the calls. The Pirates didn’t figure out how to do that.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)