Johnny Cueto dominates the Pirates

Apr 16, 2014, 3:34 PM EST

Johnny Cueto AP

Johnny Cueto didn’t have too much trouble with the Pittsburgh Pirates today. All he did was toss a three-hit shutout while striking out 12 and not walking a soul. He needed 107 pitches so he didn’t get The Maddux, but he probably didn’t sweat too much all the same.

The Pirates beat Cueto convincingly in the NL Wild Card game last fall, but today was a totally different story. In some ways an umpire-assisted story — at least from the Pirates’ perspective — as eight of his 12 strikeouts came on called third strikes. Many Pirates hitters looked back at Triple-A umpire¬†Quinn Wolcott who was working the plate today. That stuff happens sometimes, though. We don’t have robot umps yet, so you sorta have to adjust your approach if you’re not getting the calls. The Pirates didn’t figure out how to do that.

Joey Votto hit a two-run homer, and the Reds ended up winning 4-0. It was the Reds’ first series win of the year.

1. moogro - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Wow that game was fun.

2. El Bravo - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM

That singlehandedly crushed my hopes of winning this fantasy week. Oh that and the fact Tanaka is playing the Cubs…ugh. I need a no-no by the King later or I’m F’d right in the A.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Tell us more about your fantasy league! We are at the edge of our seats!

• El Bravo - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Well let’s see… I have five guys on the DL, my OF blows, but I’ve scored more points than any other team except the ones I play against each week. That makes me the unluckiest, most injured, but still surprisingly solid, fantasy club in the league. Any more questions? I’m sure I can talk about this all day and night.

• jimmyt - Apr 17, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Yeah, I wish there was a fantasy sports blog for the ladies.

• cur'68 - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Hey! I got Darvish going against King Felix tonight. I hope you get pummelled. Fortunately for me I also have Votto, who pretty much carries my scoring when Beaver games are snowed out.

• El Bravo - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Can’t we hope for dueling perfect games? Not sure that is possbile…perhaps dueling no-nos, but Darvish gives up one BB and he scores on an infield error?

• cur'68 - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM

That’s the FL wish-mongering I’m familiar with! Man, I gotta face FC this week. He’s got My Boys’ Pitcher, RA Dickey, going tomorrow. I’m forced to root AGAINST my own d00dz! FL is killer on your immortal soul, mang…

• El Bravo - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Felix barely wins that duel, but in the Mariner Way, losing the contest. League leader in Ks. K is for King.

• cur'68 - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM

It was with truly mixed emotions that I watched Rodney throw Felix’s win away. I got the max for Yu’s efforts, but a guy I really like (he was once gracious and kind to someone I care a lot about) let it happen. I hope ‘Nando gets his act together. He can be so great when he’s on.

3. JuniorGriffey'sRecliner - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Cueto was totally kickin’ it today! Every batter retired. They’ll Rue this day!

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM

hahaha not sure if this was your point, but I’m sure he was KICKING IT.

• thomas844 - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM

That’s totally the most imaginative, original joke I’ve ever heard.

• Old Gator - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Perhaps not, but surely among the most appropriate.

4. musketmaniac - Apr 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

the most impressive thing about the reds pitching was their hitting.

5. metalhead65 - Apr 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

surprised the pirates did not throw at anybody this series since that is what they usually do when getting beat by the reds. as for the playoff game you can blame that on dusty baker. who else would start a guy who had just come of the dl and pitched in 2 games totaling less than 8 innings in a game of that magnitude?

• cur'68 - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Dang you Dusty Baker! Dang you to HECK!

• junglerat524 - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM

That was last year. No use crying about it.

• metalhead65 - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM

not crying about it just pointing out a fact. the only people crying today were pirate batters blaming the umpire. just because you beat an a injured Cueto in a playoff game does not mean you will beat him every time.

• paco53 - Apr 16, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Heisey was hit by a pitch today.

• metalhead65 - Apr 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM

figures they can’t beat them so they hit them and they do it on purpose. they whine when reds pitchers do it but when you hit a guy with 1 out and someone on base like the reds guys did you know you are not hitting them on purpose. pirates just head hunt.

• 6superbowls - Apr 16, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Get your facts straight before making dumb@ss comments. More Pirates were hit by Reds pitchers than Reds batters by Pirate pitchers. By a large margin. Your boy Chapman is a headhunter. Was never so happy to see that classless POS Dusty Baker let go.

• metalhead65 - Apr 17, 2014 at 12:05 AM

if know anything about baseball and watched the games you would have seen that when reds pitchers hit batters it was in a situation where that is the last thing they wanted to do. the only headhunting came after your boys just decided to show how tough they were and throw at them. how about when they hit Phillips and hurt his wrist? obvious he was throwing at him because they could not get him out, if you think reds pitchers were going to let them throw at them then you know nothing about baseball.

• 6superbowls - Apr 17, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Your name suits you. Please tell me why Chapman’s throwing at McCutcheon’s head in the top of the 9th when the Reds are up two runs??? Answer that one MetalHead?

You’re just another homer Reds fan still jacked off you lost to the Pirates in the play-in game.

6. ch0psuey - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Cueto rocked it today, on the mound, not the plate. Called out first AB by bunting out of the batters box, 2nd time for interfering with the catcher, dont see that every day.

• metalhead65 - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

not surprising nobody on the staff can hit besides leake and he is the best bunter on the team also. why they do not work more with the pitchers on at least how to bunt is amazing.

• jm91rs - Apr 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM

That interference call was pretty questionable. Cueto barely moved before the catcher was climbing over his back. I think the ump had a pretty bad day.

• jm91rs - Apr 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Just watched it again and it’s a terrible call. Cueto looks up to see where the ball is and gets run over. I was looking forward to cozart doing something stupid on the bases and the ump didn’t give it a chance.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4277)