Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Kendrys Morales, who is currently, I dunno, shuttling his kids to soccer practice and maybe having coffee with the neighborhood gals, could be playing baseball if he had not looked a $30 million gift horse in the mouth. From Todd Dybas of the News Tribune:
Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik fielded questions at the end of a meet-and-greet with season-ticket holders on opening night at Safeco Field. He was asked about Morales and said the Mariners had offered him a three-year, $30 million contract, which was declined. The offer was made during last season after the All-Star break.
While this was a week ago, this is the first I’m hearing of it. Of course, given that it was Jack Zduriencik who said it, and given that he has an incentive to make the team look more reasonable than Morales, we should take it with at least some skepticism.
That said, we know for a fact that Morales rejected a one-year $14.1 million qualifying offer, so Morales’ ability to properly value himself in the market is suspect as well.
In other news: the Mariners’ offense has been crappy. It’s almost as if they could use a hitter every bit as much as Morales could use a job.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)