Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Kendrys Morales, who is currently, I dunno, shuttling his kids to soccer practice and maybe having coffee with the neighborhood gals, could be playing baseball if he had not looked a $30 million gift horse in the mouth. From Todd Dybas of the News Tribune:
Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik fielded questions at the end of a meet-and-greet with season-ticket holders on opening night at Safeco Field. He was asked about Morales and said the Mariners had offered him a three-year, $30 million contract, which was declined. The offer was made during last season after the All-Star break.
While this was a week ago, this is the first I’m hearing of it. Of course, given that it was Jack Zduriencik who said it, and given that he has an incentive to make the team look more reasonable than Morales, we should take it with at least some skepticism.
That said, we know for a fact that Morales rejected a one-year $14.1 million qualifying offer, so Morales’ ability to properly value himself in the market is suspect as well.
In other news: the Mariners’ offense has been crappy. It’s almost as if they could use a hitter every bit as much as Morales could use a job.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)