Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Kendrys Morales, who is currently, I dunno, shuttling his kids to soccer practice and maybe having coffee with the neighborhood gals, could be playing baseball if he had not looked a $30 million gift horse in the mouth. From Todd Dybas of the News Tribune:
Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik fielded questions at the end of a meet-and-greet with season-ticket holders on opening night at Safeco Field. He was asked about Morales and said the Mariners had offered him a three-year, $30 million contract, which was declined. The offer was made during last season after the All-Star break.
While this was a week ago, this is the first I’m hearing of it. Of course, given that it was Jack Zduriencik who said it, and given that he has an incentive to make the team look more reasonable than Morales, we should take it with at least some skepticism.
That said, we know for a fact that Morales rejected a one-year $14.1 million qualifying offer, so Morales’ ability to properly value himself in the market is suspect as well.
In other news: the Mariners’ offense has been crappy. It’s almost as if they could use a hitter every bit as much as Morales could use a job.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)