Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Kendrys Morales, who is currently, I dunno, shuttling his kids to soccer practice and maybe having coffee with the neighborhood gals, could be playing baseball if he had not looked a $30 million gift horse in the mouth. From Todd Dybas of the News Tribune:
Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik fielded questions at the end of a meet-and-greet with season-ticket holders on opening night at Safeco Field. He was asked about Morales and said the Mariners had offered him a three-year, $30 million contract, which was declined. The offer was made during last season after the All-Star break.
While this was a week ago, this is the first I’m hearing of it. Of course, given that it was Jack Zduriencik who said it, and given that he has an incentive to make the team look more reasonable than Morales, we should take it with at least some skepticism.
That said, we know for a fact that Morales rejected a one-year $14.1 million qualifying offer, so Morales’ ability to properly value himself in the market is suspect as well.
In other news: the Mariners’ offense has been crappy. It’s almost as if they could use a hitter every bit as much as Morales could use a job.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)