Apr 16, 2014, 8:54 PM EST
The Angels are down another starting outfielder.
Josh Hamilton is likely to be sidelined through most of May with a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb and now beat writer Jeff Fletcher at the Orange County Register reports that Kole Calhoun will miss the next 4-6 weeks with what Angels manager Mike Scioscia called a “bad ligament sprain” in his right ankle.
Calhoun suffered the injury on Tuesday night when he hit first base awkwardly while running down the line on an 11th-inning groundout. He had to be carried off the field and the Angels placed him on the disabled list Wednesday morning.
Calhoun, 26, was sporting a .797 OPS with three home runs and two stolen bases through 14 games this season as Anaheim’s primary right fielder and leadoff man. Hamilton had a 1.286 OPS through eight games and was on pace for a big bounceback campaign after his disappointing showing in 2013.
At least Mike Trout is healthy. Let that sentence not be a bad omen.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)