Mariners set to call up Nick Franklin from Triple-A

Apr 16, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Nick Franklin Getty Getty Images

Second baseman Nick Franklin lost his job when the Mariners signed Robinson Cano to a monster contract and then predictably failed to beat out Brad Miller for the shortstop gig during spring training, at which point the Mariners sent him back to Triple-A.

Franklin took the demotion in stride, hitting .395 with four homers and a 1.214 OPS in 11 games for Tacoma, and now he’s headed back to the big leagues.

No official announcement has been made yet, but Franklin more or less tweeted out the news via emojis (what a world we live in, people). He’s expected to replace Logan Morrison, who injured his hamstring and is likely to be put on the disabled list.

Franklin has never played a position other than second base or shortstop in the majors or the minors, but he worked out some as an outfielder during spring training prepping for a situation just like this one.

1. blabidibla - Apr 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Brad Miller better start hitting or he’ll start losing ABs. Spring Training stats only get you so far.

2. 12thmanseattle - Apr 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Miller isn’t the one to worry about. Seager has been atrotious. I’m hoping them bringing Franklin up means LoMo is on his way out soon(as long as Franklin hits when he gets called up) I really hope management realizes with our pithcing that they are close to having a great team and they try and make a move for a hitter or two(Morlaes and a trade maybe?)

• nikedunks13 - Apr 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Dude Seager should be fine, he got off to a slow start last year too. Let me know when he underhands a ball over someones head.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM

They are both worth worrying about. I doubt either one ever reaches their potential

• nikedunks13 - Apr 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

uhh Seager has been one of the better 3rd baseman in baseball the last couple years. I realize it’s not saying a lot but he’s definitely been the Mariners best hitter the last 2 years.

3. ironcurtin64 - Apr 16, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Agree on Seager; bad second half last year and looks absolutely lost at the plate right now. I think (read as “hope”) that he and Miller get it together soon. Walker scratched from start last night with shoulder tightness! Ugh!

4. 12thmanseattle - Apr 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Same here. Honestly I see them being semi competitive this year and then at either the all star break or this offseason they evaluate where our young guys are. At that point they can kind of determine where we can upgrade and trade out some of the young guys that haven’t turned the corner. My guess would be with Elias pitching well that they try and make a move for a hitter with a package of Smoak, Franklin, and either walker or Elias. A starting rotation of Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Elias/Walker would be dominant. Add another 300+ (corner outfielder or 1st baseman) hitter to the lineup and you have a team that should be competitive for years to come

5. denny65 - Apr 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Good for Nick. Now, if dead-weight Morrison would just stay gone somewhere like until, oh, 2017.

(I’d insert my standard “what a bone-headed Jack Z acquisition!” here, but no sense flogging the obvious.)

6. Reflex - Apr 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I do not have faith in Seager or Almonte, I don’t know if Franklin can play third or not but that would be a great infield if he could. I think the M’s need one more big bat, preferably a corner outfielder, and Franklin should not be delt but instead moved to either the OF or third (if he can play it).

7. illbarry - Apr 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Its way too early to give up on Seagar. He has been hitting the ball hard they just haven’t been dropping. Just last year everyone was on his bandwagon, now according to many he is washed up and a no talent bum!!! Sheese!!

8. nikedunks13 - Apr 16, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Send Miller to the minors after that B.S. today.

9. jdillydawg - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Maybe he can pitch.

Seagar will be fine. I like Miller’s offense, but damn, he’s not half the defenseman Ryan was. I miss that guy.

Morrison will surprise everyone. I read that in my tea leaves this morning….

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2494)