Apr 16, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Jerry Seinfeld is a big Mets fan, so he’ll probably love this.
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of “Seinfeld” starting on NBC the Mets’ Single-A affiliate, the Brooklyn Cyclones of the New York-Penn League, are hosting a “Seinfeld Night” at the ballpark on July 5.
Darren Rovell of ESPN.com reports that the first 2,500 fans will get a Keith Hernandez bobblehead depicting him from the “Magic Loogie” episode of the show. Some other details of the festivities, via Rovell:
During the game, the team will become Vandelay Industries Park, named for the latex company George Costanza tells the unemployment office he might work for. The Cyclones say that anyone who can present a legitimate business card that shows they are a latex salesman will get in for free.
Thanks to Newman, mailmen in uniform will throw out the first pitch. Fans will have a chance to take part in an eating contest featuring cereal, Jerry’s favorite food, and there will be a dancing contest where fans will try to dance just like Elaine. To commemorate one of Jerry’s most awkward moments, the Cyclones will wear puffy shirts during batting practice.
I’m sure it’ll be super cheesy, but as a huge “Seinfeld” fan I can’t imagine the whole night not being really fun.
Some other possibilities that the Cyclones are free to use/steal:
– Every time a hitter on either team gets to first base they have to wear a Keith Hernandez mustache on the bases.
– Roundtable discussion of whether Jay Buhner-for-Ken Phelps was a good trade or not.
– Any player who follows in Paul O’Neill’s footsteps by hitting two home runs* for a sick child wins a free black-and-white cookie for everyone in the crowd.
– George Constanza look-a-like giving hitting tips to the players during pregame batting practice.
– And of course anyone with a baby named “Seven” gets in for free.
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 122
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 5
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (124)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)