Apr 16, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the money spent on international signings is going down, down, down:
Technically, the aggregate bonus pools for international players rose by 1.2 percent, moving from $78,226,600 to $79,194,000. In reality, the amount that teams will be able to spend on international players is decreasing for the third straight year.
Badler explains that that’s because the multiple $50,000 exemptions for signings that don’t count against the bonus pool is gone starting this year, resulting in a net reduction of overall money available for signings.
There are still incentives for a team to exceed one’s bonus pool and pay the penalties for doing so. But the fact is, Major League Baseball’s policy is clearly aimed at reducing the amount of money teams can spend via the draft and via international signings. Which is a very strange way to go about containing costs — the overall expenditures in these areas are far less than teams spend on free agents — and a hinderance to small-revenue teams looking for the most cost-effective ways to rebuild.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)