Apr 16, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
I wasn’t expecting this until June, maybe, but the Astros are going with the smart baseball decision over the smart financial decision. From Mark Berman at Fox26 Houston:
Major League Baseball sources told FOX 26 Sports the Houston Astros will call up outfielder George Springer from Triple-A Oklahoma City on Wednesday.
Springer went 3-4 with a grand slam and four RBIs in the RedHawks 11-9 win in Colorado Springs Tuesday night. He is hitting .353 this season with three home runs and nine RBIs. Last season Springer hit .303 with 37 home runs and 108 RBIs while splitting time between Double-A Corpus Christi and Triple-A Oklahoma City.
He’s clearly ready for the majors. And maybe would’ve been there already, but the Astros seemed determined to use his time in the minors as a way to leverage him into accepting a seven-year, $23 million contract. Which, however cool that might be for a guy at least three years from a significant payday, would seriously undervalue him if he even comes close to fulfilling his potential. A gamble for Springer, sure, but given where salaries are these days, him getting less than $4 million a year as he goes through arbitration would be almost comically cheap.
It’ll be interesting to see if the sides do reach a long-term agreement soon after his callup, the way the Rays and Evan Longoria did when he finally reached the majors back in 2008. If so, it’ll add some credence to the notion that the Astros made Springer’s callup contingent on his accepting a long term deal. If not, it means that Springer called the Astros’ bluff and basically forced them to call him up via his fantastic play.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)