Apr 16, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Here’s an old chestnut about baseball and race from the bad old days:
“This team has too many Latinos on it to win,” mused the old scout beside me. “Get too many of them together on a club and they take over. The club divides, has no sense of itself. They might not be terrible. I mean, them boys can play, but they ain’t gonna win no championship. They’re too emotional to go the distance. “No, no”—he shook his head—“I ain’t seen no team with this many Latinos in the lineup win.”
Oh, wait. That’s not from the bad old days. That’s from 2013 and it’s a Blue Jays scout talking about the 2013 Toronto Blue Jays.
That’s passed along by Dirk Hayhurst, who was covering the Jays last year. And he uses that anecdote to do what he does best: tell us about how baseball players, coaches, scouts and executives think and feel behind the scenes when they’re not Saying The Right Things to reporters. This time, about race.
A lot of you get sick of hearing about race in baseball. I assume a lot of that is because you feel like it’s an old topic without any currency in today’s game. As Hayhurst explains in his excellent article, you couldn’t be more wrong.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)