Apr 17, 2014, 1:14 PM EST
St. Louis has placed right-hander Joe Kelly on the disabled list after he injured his hamstring trying to beat out an infield single Wednesday.
For now the Cardinals haven’t called up a rotation replacement for Kelly, but all signs seem to be pointing toward left-hander Tyler Lyons getting the nod eventually. Lyons is on the same schedule as Kelly, having started yesterday at Triple-A, and the 26-year-old fared reasonably well in 53 innings of action with the Cardinals last season.
If Kelly were out for an extended period of time it’s possible that the Cardinals would consider shifting Carlos Martinez from the bullpen to the rotation, but it doesn’t sound like that’ll be happening for now.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)