Apr 17, 2014, 1:14 PM EST
St. Louis has placed right-hander Joe Kelly on the disabled list after he injured his hamstring trying to beat out an infield single Wednesday.
For now the Cardinals haven’t called up a rotation replacement for Kelly, but all signs seem to be pointing toward left-hander Tyler Lyons getting the nod eventually. Lyons is on the same schedule as Kelly, having started yesterday at Triple-A, and the 26-year-old fared reasonably well in 53 innings of action with the Cardinals last season.
If Kelly were out for an extended period of time it’s possible that the Cardinals would consider shifting Carlos Martinez from the bullpen to the rotation, but it doesn’t sound like that’ll be happening for now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)