Apr 17, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
St. Louis has placed right-hander Joe Kelly on the disabled list after he injured his hamstring trying to beat out an infield single Wednesday.
For now the Cardinals haven’t called up a rotation replacement for Kelly, but all signs seem to be pointing toward left-hander Tyler Lyons getting the nod eventually. Lyons is on the same schedule as Kelly, having started yesterday at Triple-A, and the 26-year-old fared reasonably well in 53 innings of action with the Cardinals last season.
If Kelly were out for an extended period of time it’s possible that the Cardinals would consider shifting Carlos Martinez from the bullpen to the rotation, but it doesn’t sound like that’ll be happening for now.
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 0
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 4
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)