Apr 17, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
The Royals announced this evening that outfielder Lorenzo Cain has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin strain. The club has called up left-hander Justin Marks from Triple-A Omaha to replace him on the active roster, which means that Kansas City is now carrying 13 pitchers.
Cain suffered the injury during last night’s win over the Astros. Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that he was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, which is the least severe, and that he hopes to return when he’s eligible in two weeks.
Injuries have been an ongoing storyline with Cain during his career. Acquired from the Brewers in the Zack Greinke deal, the 28-year-old plays excellent defense in center field and has shown some ability on offense, but he has has yet to play more than 115 games in a season. The speedy Jarrod Dyson is making the start in center field tonight and should see increased playing time during his absence.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 1
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 4
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)