Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EST
We have our first triple play of the season in MLB.
In the bottom of the second evening this evening at Tropicana Field, the Yankees turned a 5-4-3 triple play against the Rays. With runners on first and second and nobody out against CC Sabathia, Sean Rodriguez hit a ground ball to Yangervis Solarte at the hot corner. He stepped on the third base bag for the first out and then threw to Brian Roberts for the second out. Roberts then threw to Scott Sizemore, who made the scoop to complete the triple play at first base. Pretty impressive for Sizemore, who is making his first major league start at first base this evening.
Just watch it:
The Yankees actually had the last triple play in MLB, as they pulled one off last April 12 against the Orioles. Tonight’s wasn’t nearly as complicated as that one. WFAN’s Sweeny Murti notes that Sabathia has been on the mound for each of the team’s last three triple plays (2010, 2013 and now 2014). Pretty lucky guy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)