Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
We have our first triple play of the season in MLB.
In the bottom of the second evening this evening at Tropicana Field, the Yankees turned a 5-4-3 triple play against the Rays. With runners on first and second and nobody out against CC Sabathia, Sean Rodriguez hit a ground ball to Yangervis Solarte at the hot corner. He stepped on the third base bag for the first out and then threw to Brian Roberts for the second out. Roberts then threw to Scott Sizemore, who made the scoop to complete the triple play at first base. Pretty impressive for Sizemore, who is making his first major league start at first base this evening.
Just watch it:
The Yankees actually had the last triple play in MLB, as they pulled one off last April 12 against the Orioles. Tonight’s wasn’t nearly as complicated as that one. WFAN’s Sweeny Murti notes that Sabathia has been on the mound for each of the team’s last three triple plays (2010, 2013 and now 2014). Pretty lucky guy.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)