Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
We have our first triple play of the season in MLB.
In the bottom of the second evening this evening at Tropicana Field, the Yankees turned a 5-4-3 triple play against the Rays. With runners on first and second and nobody out against CC Sabathia, Sean Rodriguez hit a ground ball to Yangervis Solarte at the hot corner. He stepped on the third base bag for the first out and then threw to Brian Roberts for the second out. Roberts then threw to Scott Sizemore, who made the scoop to complete the triple play at first base. Pretty impressive for Sizemore, who is making his first major league start at first base this evening.
Just watch it:
The Yankees actually had the last triple play in MLB, as they pulled one off last April 12 against the Orioles. Tonight’s wasn’t nearly as complicated as that one. WFAN’s Sweeny Murti notes that Sabathia has been on the mound for each of the team’s last three triple plays (2010, 2013 and now 2014). Pretty lucky guy.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)