Yasiel Puig does all of the Yasiel Puig things in the same inning

Apr 17, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig AP

Well, he didn’t literally pee on Abner Doubleday’s grave or whatever it is he’s accused of doing by columnists all the time, but he did pretty much show off the rest of the Puig repertoire in the second inning of today’s Dodgers-Giants game.

First, with one out, he dropped an easy fly ball with a one-hand catch. But before all the old white people watching could come up with some comment about how he doesn’t respect the game, he recovered immediately and fired the ball in to second base to get the force out on the runner from first, so it was the same result: a putout, a runner on first base, two men down, rocket arm shown off.

Next batter: Gregor Blanco, who hit one into the blowing wind of right field. And Puig does this:

The crazy route was no doubt to avoid the sniper fire he carelessly and selfishly drew to America’s ballparks.

In any event, you take the good, you take the bad, you take ‘em both and there you have Yasiel Puig … Yasiel Puig . . .

1. packerfan66 - Apr 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Craig…you said All Old White people watching! So we’re supposed to read your mind when you make a blanket statement like that?

• nymets4ever - Apr 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM

You actually expect Craig to man up and face his own hypocrisy? Haha

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Weird comment, since it’s difficult to imagine you know what a man is.

• skids003 - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Koufax, you gotta admit, that’s a little hypocritical. BTW, how my ole bud?

2. psunick - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Isn’t Craig just adorable?

3. seanwasamarine - Apr 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I don’t care how talented he is. His disrespect for the game and childish behavior on the field make him a liability to any team he may be on. I’d rather have a less talented player with a lot of heart and respect for baseball than an idiot like Puig.

• lazlosother - Apr 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Yeah, because Arizona is so successful with that approach.

• Wesley Clark - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Talent wins. The end.

• jm91rs - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM

If he’s not on your team right now then why do you care? If he is on your team I know you’re lying because if they ever let Puig go for some average player that does it “the right way” you’re not gonna be happy.

• lanflfan - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Says every opposing fan…

4. irishdodger - Apr 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Craig, I enjoy your love of baseball but the bitterness over the criticism Puig has received by white journalists is wearing thin. I’m afraid your Liberal white guilt is rearing its ugly head in these articles. As a Dodgers fan, I have no problem w/ Puig…obviously. As a baseball fan, I understand that he’s young and has some maturing to do but is also adapting to a culture here in the US that is the polar opposite of the Communist country where he hails (which is usually lauded & romanticized by elitist white guys riddled w/ Liberal guilt). The thing that most sticks out to me, as a fan; is that I will stop what I’m doing to watch a Puig at-bat. It’s been awhile since a player could do that. Even if he strikes out…it’s entertaining. You have every right to editorialize but it comes off as a typical, pampered white guy journalist who feels guilty b/c he had it better than folks less fortunate. Don’t be that guy. We have enough of them to listen to or read….no one likes that guy.

• jrob23 - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

well said

• jeffbbf - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Now – if we could just all agree to stop reading these tired posts, maybe, just maybe Craig would stop writing them. Ignore them and they will go away.

And yes, I get the irony of my post here.

5. clemente2 - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM

All you people with the ‘liberal white guilt’ comments realize it tags you as too stupid to engage in a thoughtful discussion on an issue with race involved in general, really only a mud step above the ‘reverse racism’ troglodytes, and specific to this article means you have third grade reading comprehension, missing both the humorous self-acknowledgment of Craig’s comment and it’s obvious friendly trolling nature.

• jrob23 - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM

stfu you pretentious noob

• dan1111 - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Yes, because nothing says “thoughtful discussion” like claiming your opponents are stupid, troglodytes, and can’t read.

While I’m not a fan of the “liberal white guilt” angle (because we can’t actually read Craig’s mind), I think his critics have a point. Yes, this post is light-hearted, but Craig’s excessive focus on the coverage of Puig wears thin.

• jimmyt - Apr 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

clemente2, be it a debate, discussion, argument or fist fight when your point is laced with name calling it only means your point is weak, lacks credibility and you are losing.

6. racksie - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM

A couple of things struck me here. First the opening line was pretty good. Second, that route Puig took to catch that fly ball was very Delmon Young like. Except he actually caught the ball. And I commend you Craig for your very determined defense of Puig. I’m not sure I have entirely turned the corner on my opinion on the guy, but I do cut him a bit more slack than I did about a week ago. And finally, two 80’s sitcom references in as many days? Well done, Craig. I will consider it complete when I see some reference to “and tonight, on a very special Blossom….”

7. babyfarkmcgeezax - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Craig is a hypocritical douche. You can’t criticize Puig without being a racist. What a pathetic tactic to stifle debate – that’s some Suey Park style nonsense right there. Craig still loves those tomahawk-choppin’, Native American-disrepectin’ Braves though.

8. chiadam - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Does “Yasiel Puig things” include sending money to a drug cartel?

• jm91rs - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

If it keeps you alive I bet you’d send them money too.

9. chiadam - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Oh, and former players that now work for MLBN basically agree with the columnists that criticize Puig. Mark DeRosa said he would not trust Puig as a teammate. But what does he know? Not like he played for a decade and was considered a great teammate by everyone or anything like that. I’m sure a snarky blogger and the few puppets on this page that worship him (you know who you are) know best.

• jm91rs - Apr 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Not like Mark DeRosa had to give every ounce of effort to be an average ball player and he’s spiteful of a guy that doesn’t need to do the little things to still be great. It’s very easy to hate someone that does your job better than you, especially if he does it better but doesn’t do it “right”.

10. Fantasy Football Consultant - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I met and talked to Puig in Aball for Rancho C. And it’s funny, the swagger wasn’t there yet. In the words of Bull Durham, he was colorful. Dirty 2 dollar sandles. When the cameras start to flicker and the money’s fallin all around because they love what you do, well you do what you do. I love me some Puiggy

11. thepancakebandit - Apr 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Okay Craig, WE GET IT ALREADY!

12. jimmyt - Apr 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Who let whiny liberals into the sports world in the first place?

• Wesley Clark - Apr 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

This is a real issue. No, not the whiny liberal thing that you think is an issue. The issue is this: A) Everyone know what Craig writes about. B) They contiunually come to the blog and read it C) They complain about said writing. The interent is a big place, if someone doesn’t want to read an opinion that might upset their delicate sensitivities there are tons of other places they can go. I am sure there is a gun toting, Jesus loving, FREEDOM!!!1!! baseball blog out there. No whiny liberals are allowed.

13. chip56 - Apr 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Hey hey hey…Puig is from Cuba and had a harrowing experience coming over here…we can’t expect him to practice sound fundamental baseball and be talented enough to make the highlight reel plays.

14. sonoco - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM

What’s with the constant references to Puig in martyr status?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2997)