Apr 17, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Well, he didn’t literally pee on Abner Doubleday’s grave or whatever it is he’s accused of doing by columnists all the time, but he did pretty much show off the rest of the Puig repertoire in the second inning of today’s Dodgers-Giants game.
First, with one out, he dropped an easy fly ball with a one-hand catch. But before all the old white people watching could come up with some comment about how he doesn’t respect the game, he recovered immediately and fired the ball in to second base to get the force out on the runner from first, so it was the same result: a putout, a runner on first base, two men down, rocket arm shown off.
Next batter: Gregor Blanco, who hit one into the blowing wind of right field. And Puig does this:
The crazy route was no doubt to avoid the sniper fire he carelessly and selfishly drew to America’s ballparks.
In any event, you take the good, you take the bad, you take ‘em both and there you have Yasiel Puig … Yasiel Puig . . .
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)