Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
John Lott of the National Post reports that the Blue Jays have activated shortstop Jose Reyes from the disabled list, put first baseman/DH Adam Lind on the DL, called up first baseman/DH Juan Francisco from Triple-A Buffalo and demoted infielder Munenori Kawasaki down to Buffalo.
Reyes suffered a hamstring injury near the end of spring training, and took only one at-bat on Opening Day before departing with more hamstring issues. Lind exited Tuesday’s game with tightness in his back and was reevaluated on Friday, but the Blue Jays didn’t like what they saw.
Kawasaki only stepped to the plate nine times since his call-up early this week, posting a .556 OPS. Meanwhile, Francisco was raking with Buffalo, hitting .349 with two homers and 11 RBI in 49 trips to the plate. So the Jays upgrade at shortstop but lose their regular DH in the process, though if Francisco’s performance at Triple-A is any indication, he should be an adequate replacement for Lind.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)