Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
John Lott of the National Post reports that the Blue Jays have activated shortstop Jose Reyes from the disabled list, put first baseman/DH Adam Lind on the DL, called up first baseman/DH Juan Francisco from Triple-A Buffalo and demoted infielder Munenori Kawasaki down to Buffalo.
Reyes suffered a hamstring injury near the end of spring training, and took only one at-bat on Opening Day before departing with more hamstring issues. Lind exited Tuesday’s game with tightness in his back and was reevaluated on Friday, but the Blue Jays didn’t like what they saw.
Kawasaki only stepped to the plate nine times since his call-up early this week, posting a .556 OPS. Meanwhile, Francisco was raking with Buffalo, hitting .349 with two homers and 11 RBI in 49 trips to the plate. So the Jays upgrade at shortstop but lose their regular DH in the process, though if Francisco’s performance at Triple-A is any indication, he should be an adequate replacement for Lind.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)