Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
John Lott of the National Post reports that the Blue Jays have activated shortstop Jose Reyes from the disabled list, put first baseman/DH Adam Lind on the DL, called up first baseman/DH Juan Francisco from Triple-A Buffalo and demoted infielder Munenori Kawasaki down to Buffalo.
Reyes suffered a hamstring injury near the end of spring training, and took only one at-bat on Opening Day before departing with more hamstring issues. Lind exited Tuesday’s game with tightness in his back and was reevaluated on Friday, but the Blue Jays didn’t like what they saw.
Kawasaki only stepped to the plate nine times since his call-up early this week, posting a .556 OPS. Meanwhile, Francisco was raking with Buffalo, hitting .349 with two homers and 11 RBI in 49 trips to the plate. So the Jays upgrade at shortstop but lose their regular DH in the process, though if Francisco’s performance at Triple-A is any indication, he should be an adequate replacement for Lind.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)