Bo Porter to his blundering baserunner: “Do you think you’re invisible?”

Apr 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Bo Porter AP

Astros third baseman Matt Dominguez tried stretching a single into double and was thrown out by a mile yesterday. It ran the Astros out of a potential run-scoring situation too. After the game, Porter was asked what he thought of that decision by Dominguez.

Now, on the one hand, you could take that question as provocative. Like the reporter is looking to get a sharp reaction from Porter. And, given that Porter paused for a loooooooooong time before answering it, I was convinced that the next thing out of his mouth would be akin to Tommy Lasorda’s (WARNING: NSFW in the extreme) “What did I think of Kingman’s peformance?!!!” tirade from back in the day.

On the other hand, it’s a young team and maybe — just maybe — Porter was going to praise the instinct to take the extra base while not being happy with the result.

Which way do you think Porter is going to go with it? Watch:

I like that answer. It’s nowhere near as fun as Lasorda’s rant, but at the same time, it’s not some kid-gloves pat on the head answer designed not to anger his player. It was a dumb play. I’m glad Porter, despite working for an organization that one suspects has some very cohesive How We Talk About Things kind of approach because they seem to think out every approach beforehand, can still rip one of his players if it is justified.

1. jm91rs - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM

That was the longest pause I’ve seen in an interview

• shaggylocks - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Seriously. I thought my browser froze.

• commonsenseisnotcmonman - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:19 PM

If I had not read the article beforehand, I thought he was honestly going to mushroom cloud right there.

• renaado - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I am seriously Lmao watching this video..

• ironcurtin64 - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM

My browser did freeze. I thought Bo lapsed into a coma.

2. unclemosesgreen - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I wish I could have heard the tumult inside his head while he was waiting for a socially acceptable response to occur.

3. hoopmatch - Apr 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Bo knows base running.

4. Kevin Gillman - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I like Bo, and he’s right about the answer.

5. Old Gator - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I counted to ten six and a half times during the silence. How stupid do you suppose Bo thinks that reporter is?

• natstowngreg - Apr 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Bo has been around long enough to know that the question was coming. He did a nice job with it.

And Dominguez got a valuable lesson in baseball fundamentals, if he has the sense to learn it.

• jwbiii - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I counted 18 seconds. The watch I am wearing these days doesn’t do tenths of seconds, but that’s a long freaking time.

6. 2077james - Apr 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Can’t you count as high as 65? :)

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Only when I’m not relaxing with quantum mechanics.

7. zdravit - Apr 19, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Blundering baserunner to Bo Porter: “Do you like being invisible at night?”

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate