Apr 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Astros third baseman Matt Dominguez tried stretching a single into double and was thrown out by a mile yesterday. It ran the Astros out of a potential run-scoring situation too. After the game, Porter was asked what he thought of that decision by Dominguez.
Now, on the one hand, you could take that question as provocative. Like the reporter is looking to get a sharp reaction from Porter. And, given that Porter paused for a loooooooooong time before answering it, I was convinced that the next thing out of his mouth would be akin to Tommy Lasorda’s (WARNING: NSFW in the extreme) “What did I think of Kingman’s peformance?!!!” tirade from back in the day.
On the other hand, it’s a young team and maybe — just maybe — Porter was going to praise the instinct to take the extra base while not being happy with the result.
Which way do you think Porter is going to go with it? Watch:
I like that answer. It’s nowhere near as fun as Lasorda’s rant, but at the same time, it’s not some kid-gloves pat on the head answer designed not to anger his player. It was a dumb play. I’m glad Porter, despite working for an organization that one suspects has some very cohesive How We Talk About Things kind of approach because they seem to think out every approach beforehand, can still rip one of his players if it is justified.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)