Apr 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Astros third baseman Matt Dominguez tried stretching a single into double and was thrown out by a mile yesterday. It ran the Astros out of a potential run-scoring situation too. After the game, Porter was asked what he thought of that decision by Dominguez.
Now, on the one hand, you could take that question as provocative. Like the reporter is looking to get a sharp reaction from Porter. And, given that Porter paused for a loooooooooong time before answering it, I was convinced that the next thing out of his mouth would be akin to Tommy Lasorda’s (WARNING: NSFW in the extreme) “What did I think of Kingman’s peformance?!!!” tirade from back in the day.
On the other hand, it’s a young team and maybe — just maybe — Porter was going to praise the instinct to take the extra base while not being happy with the result.
Which way do you think Porter is going to go with it? Watch:
I like that answer. It’s nowhere near as fun as Lasorda’s rant, but at the same time, it’s not some kid-gloves pat on the head answer designed not to anger his player. It was a dumb play. I’m glad Porter, despite working for an organization that one suspects has some very cohesive How We Talk About Things kind of approach because they seem to think out every approach beforehand, can still rip one of his players if it is justified.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)