Apr 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Astros third baseman Matt Dominguez tried stretching a single into double and was thrown out by a mile yesterday. It ran the Astros out of a potential run-scoring situation too. After the game, Porter was asked what he thought of that decision by Dominguez.
Now, on the one hand, you could take that question as provocative. Like the reporter is looking to get a sharp reaction from Porter. And, given that Porter paused for a loooooooooong time before answering it, I was convinced that the next thing out of his mouth would be akin to Tommy Lasorda’s (WARNING: NSFW in the extreme) “What did I think of Kingman’s peformance?!!!” tirade from back in the day.
On the other hand, it’s a young team and maybe — just maybe — Porter was going to praise the instinct to take the extra base while not being happy with the result.
Which way do you think Porter is going to go with it? Watch:
I like that answer. It’s nowhere near as fun as Lasorda’s rant, but at the same time, it’s not some kid-gloves pat on the head answer designed not to anger his player. It was a dumb play. I’m glad Porter, despite working for an organization that one suspects has some very cohesive How We Talk About Things kind of approach because they seem to think out every approach beforehand, can still rip one of his players if it is justified.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)