Apr 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Astros third baseman Matt Dominguez tried stretching a single into double and was thrown out by a mile yesterday. It ran the Astros out of a potential run-scoring situation too. After the game, Porter was asked what he thought of that decision by Dominguez.
Now, on the one hand, you could take that question as provocative. Like the reporter is looking to get a sharp reaction from Porter. And, given that Porter paused for a loooooooooong time before answering it, I was convinced that the next thing out of his mouth would be akin to Tommy Lasorda’s (WARNING: NSFW in the extreme) “What did I think of Kingman’s peformance?!!!” tirade from back in the day.
On the other hand, it’s a young team and maybe — just maybe — Porter was going to praise the instinct to take the extra base while not being happy with the result.
Which way do you think Porter is going to go with it? Watch:
I like that answer. It’s nowhere near as fun as Lasorda’s rant, but at the same time, it’s not some kid-gloves pat on the head answer designed not to anger his player. It was a dumb play. I’m glad Porter, despite working for an organization that one suspects has some very cohesive How We Talk About Things kind of approach because they seem to think out every approach beforehand, can still rip one of his players if it is justified.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)